UI Black Greek Council Showcase shows off student dance performances

By Natalie Stewart

On Saturday, UI’s Black Greek Council put on the first BGC Showcase as part of their inaugural Black Greek Picnic weekend.

At the showcase, which was in Foellinger Auditorium, several fraternities and sororities from the Divine Nine performed routines for the audience that included each group’s unique strolls and dance routines.

The festivities started off with the introduction of the event’s host DJ Calvin Evans, who is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

The first group that performed was Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., who not only gave the audience a show but a lesson about their group’s history. They started the show off strong with high energy and succinct precision.

The next group performance was by the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., who gave the crowd a mixture of stepping and dancing. They pulled in the crowd with a slow number in the middle of their performance.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, came to the stage next, dressed in camouflage and combat boots. They rocked the house with precision and flare with their signature hop.

The next group was Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, who had a ninja-warrior theme to their routine. They were dressed in all black with red accents, tying into their color scheme of crimson and cream, and faux battle gear. They wowed with their creative performance that left the crowd wanting more.

The men of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated, catered their performance to the ladies as they brought up several girls for a special routine ballad routine in addition to strolling and cane work.

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, also had a theme to their performance, which was centered around charm school. They expressed in their routine how they are both smart, beautiful and “oh so sweet.”

The last group to perform was Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., who kept tradition by performing their classic stroll. They were aided by some of their brothers in the audience who joined in and helped show some Sigma pride.