Illinois women’s track heads to Drake Relays

Illinois’ Stephanie Richartz propells herself into the air during the pole vault event at the Illinois Twilight meet on Saturday.

The Illinois women’s track and field team will participate in the 106th Drake Relays April 22-26 at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa.

The field consists of seven top-25 teams: No. 5 Arkansas, No. 7 Georgia, No. 9 Baylor, No. 11 Oklahoma State, No. 18 Texas Tech, No. 21 Missouri and No. 24 Notre Dame. Last year, the Illini were unsuccessful at Drake — scoring two team points and finishing tied for last in a field of 17. The 4×800 meter relay team earned the two points for head coach Ron Garner’s team. The team of Chloe Schmidt, Ahlivia Spencer, Lindsey Rakosnik and Stephanie Morgan finished seventh in the event. Schmidt and Rakosnik will team up with Nicole Choquette and Amanda Duvendack this year.

Illinois is coming off a strong performance at the Illinois Twilight meet, which was held at the Illinois Soccer and Track Stadium. The Illini finished second in a field of 11, the team’s highest finish of the outdoor season. Stephanie Richartz made history in the pole vault: The senior’s 4.36 meter clearance set a school and facility record.

The Illini have one more outdoor meet after Drake before heading to East Lansing, Michigan, for the Big Ten Outdoor Championships.

@MrozLauren