First annual Spring Jam concert brings B.o.B., Timeflies

Timeless lead singer, Cal Shapiro, freestyle raps a song about the University during Spring Jam at the Main Quad on Sunday.

A location students usually use to study and commute to class was converted into a stage and outdoor concert venue Sunday afternoon. The University’s first annual Spring Jam concert hosted well-known artists B.o.B. and Timeflies.

The Illini Union Board, State Farm Center and Star Course hosted the concert on the Main Quad. The concert was free to all students who presented their i-Card upon entry.

Hannah Ahn, senior manager for Star Course and senior in Engineering, helped plan the event. She said the most memorable part of the experience was that it occurred on the Main Quad, something that Star Course has tried to make happen for years. Ahn explained the concert was originally going to be on the lawn of Huff Hall, but the Quad location was approved by Chancellor Phyllis Wise.

“We’ve been working on it for so long,” she said. “(Spring Jam) is my baby.”

Ahn said she also enjoyed Timeflies because they performed a freestyle rap targeted toward the University. The group name-dropped C-U favorites such as The Black Dog Smoke and Ale House, campus bars and Mayor Don Gerard.

“It was a great way for students to come together,” Ahn said.

Another Star Course senior manager, Ryan Marohn, said his favorite act was B.o.B. Marohn, senior in LAS, said he didn’t realize how many songs featured B.o.B.

Marohn said he enjoyed announcing B.o.B., throwing T-shirts to the audience and crowd-surfing.

Ameera Salem, freshman in Social Work, attended the concert.

Salem said the highlight of her concert experience was when B.o.B. took a “selfie video” on her phone for Snapchat. She said the artist was very interactive with the crowd.

Because Marohn is graduating in May, he added that Spring Jam was the perfect last show.

“It was a great way to start a tradition that will hopefully get bigger and bigger,” he said.

Clarification: In the April 27, 2015 edition of The Daily Illini the article “First annual Spring Jam concert brings B.o.B., Timeflies” stated that senior student Hannah Ahn would be graduating in May. However, Ahn will be graduating in the fall. The Daily Illini regrets the error.