Why Jaylin McClinton is endorsing Spencer Haydary for Student Trustee

By Jaylin McClinton

As election season is in full swing and candidates are attempting to succeed me on the University of Illinois Board of Trustees, I am watching all of them very closely and critically. In the past few weeks, I have had the opportunity to chat with each of the candidates running for student trustee.

The University is facing tough times including, but not limited to, a lack of funding from the Illinois state government, changes in senior level administration, no sense of identity in light of Chief Illiniwek being retired and various student groups like #BeingBlackAtIllinois wanting issues pertaining to race, diversity and inclusion to be ingrained in the normal culture of campus.

With these issues preventing us from reaching our fullest potential as the premiere public university in the state of Illinois, I wholeheartedly endorse Spencer Haydary to succeed me as the next Urbana-Champaign student trustee. Spencer has a proven track record of understanding how a government board operates with his previous experience at Rock Valley College, but beyond that, he will speak out against racism and bigotry.

Now, this endorsement in no way should be interpreted as the other candidates not being qualified, or me not liking them because they are all great. But Spencer is best suited to represent the Urbana-Champaign campus. While his time on campus has been short, he cares about this university and will lead with a strong moral compass, integrity and a true passion for and commitment to the work of the University of Illinois Board of Trustees.

In the coming weeks, I will be campaigning with him across campus to ensure that his platform of safety, inclusion and progress is heard by students, and that the student body turns out in large numbers on March 9 and 10, 2016, to ensure Spencer Haydary is elected student trustee.

Jaylin McClinton is the current student trustee for the University’s Urbana campus.