Illinois women’s golf looks to build on standout Singhsumalee

By Thoms Polcyn, Assistant sports editor

The Illinois women’s golf team won’t officially start until mid-September, but the program is ready to get its season started.

On Sept. 12, the Illini will open up their season in Knoxville, Tennessee, for the Mercedes-Benz collegiate tournament. This will be the second-straight season that the Illini will participate in the tournament after taking sixth out of 14 teams last year.

Illinois is returning eight players to the team, as well as welcoming two freshmen to the team.

Among the most notable returning players is sophomore Bing Singhsumalee. Last season, she was named to the second All-Big Ten team and the All-Big Ten tournament team. She finished tied for fourth at the Big Ten championship

Over the summer, Singhsumalee continued her strong play. She competed in tournaments such as the US Amateur Open, where she eventually fell in the round of 32.

Following their tournament in Tennessee, the Illini will continue to have a busy travel schedule. Tournaments this season are located in South Carolina, Kentucky, Arizona, California, Georgia and Ohio.

Depending on the success of the team, the Midwest regional is still looking for a location, but the NCAA championships will be held locally in Sugar Grove, Illinois.

@TPolc