Champaign Police Department seeking tips to catch MTD bus thief

Suspects of MTD wallet theft pictured exiting bus. Photo submitted by Crime Stoppers.

By Vivienne Henning, Assistant Daytime Editor

The Champaign Police Department (CPD) is in need of assistance and cooperation from the public to help them catch the perpetrator of a theft.

On July 18, around 3:30 p.m., a black male suspect, while riding an MTD bus, took the victim’s wallet and deposited it into his backpack and then exited the bus. The incident occurred near Washington and Lierman in Urbana.

At the Lincoln Square Mall stop, the suspect exited the bus with a black female and child, and they subsequently got onto another MTD bus. While on that bus, the suspect and female perused through the wallet and removed items from it. The group then got off the bus at McCullough and Park Street in Urbana.

The suspect, Deon Green, is a 47-year-old black male, with a height of 6’3” and approximately 180 pounds.

The CPD is encouraging anyone with information to contact Officer Wills at (217)-351-4545 or contact Crime Stoppers at (217)-373-TIPS. All tips will be completely anonymous.