Police seek the public’s help in identifying bank robbery suspect 

By Jacob Singleton

Today, at approximately 12:22 p.m., Champaign Police Officers responded to Central Illinois Bank, located at 302 W. Springfield Ave. for a reported bank robbery.

According to bank staff, a suspect entered the bank and demanded money, implying but not displaying a weapon.  The suspect was handed an undetermined amount of currency and the suspect then fled on foot in a northwest direction.  No injuries were reported.   

Police are currently interviewing witnesses from the bank and the immediate area. The suspect is described as a black male, possibly in his mid- to late-30s, approximately 5’05” to 5’08” in height, with a thin build.The suspect was wearing a gray shirt and dark blue hat.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call the Champaign Police Department Investigations Division at (217) 351-4545. 

Anonymous tips may also be submitted to Crime Stoppers by phone at (217) 373-8477; online at www.373tips.com, or by texting “CCTIP” plus the information to 274637 (CRIMES). Crime Stoppers will pay a reward up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for this crime. 

Champaign Police reminds citizens that information submitted to Crime Stoppers is completely anonymous. Calls are routed to a third-party national call center that receives your information, completes a tips information form, and then passes the information to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Caller ID tracking is not utilized by Crime Stoppers and conversations are not recorded.