Shots fired reported on Green St. amidst campus celebrations

By Claire Hettinger, Samantha Jones Toal, Joseph Longo, News Editor and Assistant News Editors

Shots fired were reported at 101 E. Green St. around 9:48 p.m. Wednesday night.

Two non-University students were involved in the shooting, which occurred in an apartment complex at 101 E. Green St. The evidence available at the time of publication suggested a domestic altercation in the apartment complex led to the shooting.

The man, 21, and the woman, 41,  involved both received gunshot wounds and were taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening wounds.

The man is the suspect at this time.An Illini-alert was issued around 10:10 p.m. by officials telling people to avoid the area near First and Green streets and surrounding areas including the Super Pantry gas station and Maize.

By 10:35, the police released an additional Illini-alert saying the suspect was believed to have left the area. People were encouraged to continue to avoid the area, but assured it was safe to resume regular activities.

There was an additional police presence in the area due to the anticipated activities following the World Series. Illinois State Police, UIPD and Champaign Police were stationed at every corner on Green Street from First to Sixth streets.

UIPD Sergeant Jason D. Bradley said he and other UIPD officers were stationed in front of The Clybourne and Firehaus because it’s “the best place to watch the Cubs game.”

The Champaign Police Department said the shooting is an isolated incident unrelated to the Cubs celebrations and festivities on campus. It is also unrelated to the shooting in the 300 block of Green Street on Sept. 25.

The investigation is ongoing and police said any citizens with information should  call the Champaign Police Investigations Division at (217) 351-4545.