Former Illinois football player suing University, per report

Daily Illini File Photo

Illini head football coach Tim Beckman was fired last year. However, UIUC is still handling the consequences of Beckman’s actions due to Anthony Durkin’s newly filed lawsuit.

By The Daily Illini sports staff

It’s been over a year since former Illinois head coach Tim Beckman was fired, but the University is still dealing with repercussions.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that former Illinois offensive lineman Anthony Durkin filed a lawsuit against the University, Beckman and former athletic director Mike Thomas on Friday. The suit claims that Beckman forced Durkin to return early from a shoulder injury that he suffered in his sophomore season in 2013.

Beckman was fired a week before the 2015 season began for Illinois football for deterring injury reports and influencing medical decisions.

Former Illinois assistant Alex Golesh is currently working as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator at the Iowa State University.

The suit accuses Beckman, Thomas, Golesh and three team doctors of being negligent towards his injury. It also alleges that the University breached the contract of Durkin’s scholarship by ending his scholarship for an “improper purpose.”

He is suing on five separate counts, seeking damages upwards of $250,000.

Beckman and Golesh did not respond when asked for a comment by the Sun-Times.
Associate Director of Athletics Kent Brown acknowledged the University received the suit Friday. The University could not be reached for comment.

@di_sports