University professor and researcher, Klaus Schulten, passes away

By Madeleine Hubbard, Staff Reporter

Klaus Schulten, a prominent University physics professor and researcher, passed away Monday, October 31 at the age of 69 years.

Schulten received his Ph.D from Harvard University in chemical physics in 1974, after graduating from the University of Muenster in 1969 with a degree in physics. He had been working as part of University research and faculty member for 25 years.

He was a leader of biophysics and led the Theoretical and Computational Biophysics group. This group is comprised of 30 students and postdoctoral professors who conducted seminal work in the area of molecular dynamic simulations and illuminating biological structures.

Not only did he make strides in the physics field, he made numerous contributions to biology. His research was focused on the supramolecular systems in the living cell, while also making advances that include understanding animal vision, photosynthesis, and force-generation in cells.

Schulten was a diverse professor that had created an impact in the scientific fields of chemistry, physics, and biology. He paired this knowledge with a strong knowledge of computers.

Dr. Juan Perilla worked closely with Schulten at the University of Illinois. Perilla described Schulten as “a very wise man” who was his “mentor” and “advisor”.

“He was very supportive” said Perilla, “he allowed me to explore my curiosity.”

Schulten’s memorial service will be held at St. John’s Catholic Newman center 604 E. Armory Ave and 6th street, Champaign on Monday, November 7 at 10:00 a.m. A reception will immediately follow. Beckman Institute of Technology will host an honorary symposium in 2017.