Illinois Field adds beer to concession menu

By Meghan Rest

The University of Illinois Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) began selling beer at Illinois Field, the home stadium of Illinois’ baseball team, Friday, April 19 during the Illini’s weekend series against the Penn State Nittany Lions.

Beer will be sold at $5 and $6, according to the DIA’s announcement April 18. The change in Spectra concession, the DIA’s vendor, follows the decision to sell beer at Memorial Stadium and The State Farm Center on April 2.

Last year’s Bleach Bumm BBQ event marked the first time over 3,000 fans were able to purchase beer at Illinois Field in a confined tent area, according to fightingillini.com.

The DIA released the following guidelines for alcohol purchasing at the field:

• “Valid ID is required for purchase. All guests must be 21 years of age to purchase alcoholic beverages.
  • A limit of two beers purchased at one time per legal ID.
  • Outside drinks will no longer be permitted at Illinois Field.
  • Beer sales will be suspended after the middle of the seventh inning.
  • Beer will be sold in aluminum cans and bottles. Recycling receptacles will be available around the facility.”

Athletic Director Josh Whitman said selling beers is a way to enrich ticketholders’ experiences at Illinois Field.

“We are continually looking for ways to improve fan engagement and augment our in-game fan experience,” Whitman said. “The opportunity to purchase beer at our events was the number one request in a postseason survey of our football ticket holders. Fans indicated beer sales would encourage their use of purchased tickets and would increase the length of time they stayed in the stands.”