Immersion Festival returns to CU after 2020 cancellation

By Raina Kutliroff, Staff Writer

Made possible through a grant from the Urbana Arts and Culture Program, this year’s Immersion Festival is sure to bring creative energy to the creative people of Champaign-Urbana. Festival founder Jake Metz is having a hard time containing his excitement for the series of shows and performances. Several local artists will show off their talents to the C-U community Saturday.

Visitors can expect to experience an immersive sound show filled with galleries, independent music performances, video projecting installations and more. The immersive sound will be created through a quadraphonic sound system to make attendees feel that they’re experiencing the sounds rather than simply hearing them. Quadraphonic sound systems consist of four speakers placed in all corners of a room to provide full surround sound, explains Metz.

The Immersion Festival officially debuted in 2019 after a series of smaller immersive-style shows throughout the 2010s in Champaign-Urbana.

“(The festival will be) experimental and a multimedia infusion of different mediums,” Metz said, “Giving people the sound they might not have heard or seen before.”

The 2019 festival featured similar shows including guided meditations, live painting and workshops.

The festival will take place at several venues throughout Champaign-Urbana, such as Sipyard and Urbana Dance Company, and the night will end with a special DJ performance by Metz, also known as DJ Quad, at Rose Bowl Tavern. Metz said he enjoys working with local artists and businesses to host the festival.

“Seeing people have a good time because then I am finally able to relax,” Metz said when asked about his favorite part of the festival.

“In all seriousness,” he continued, “it would probably be hearing people say, ‘How does that work?’ or ‘What’s going on over there?’”

He said he takes a lot of pride in introducing people to a new type of art and providing them with an experience they have never had before.

Metz and the festival creators expected to have an incredible show in 2020, but due to COVID-19, they had to postpone. Though this show will be smaller than they had hoped, they are grateful to have been able to make it happen this year. To fulfill their smaller capacity level, many shows will be playing simultaneously in different venues, meaning audience members will have to choose wisely what shows they would like to see.

Most of the artists performing and sharing their talents with the C-U community are local C-U artists who are excited to perform.

The creators of the Immersion Festival will host a workshop in the future where the tools and systems needed to create your own immersive sound will be taught, so be on the lookout for future information.

Festival guests should be prepared to come to the Immersion Festival with an open mind, Metz explained.

“There will be a lot happening at the same time, so choose wisely, and ask how things work,” Metz said regarding his advice for festivalgoers. 

Immersion Festival will take place Saturday at various places throughout C-U. For more information, visit the Immersion 2021 Facebook page.