Pfizer booster shots available for health care workers, first responders, the elderly

Cameron Krasucki

A woman checks in a patient awaiting a dose of the Moderna vaccine at the Church of the Living God on Feb. 20. Pfizer booster shots are now available for health care workers, first responders, and the elderly.

By Royal Shrestha and Alex Chang

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District has begun hosting Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine booster clinics. 

According to Massmails sent this week, health care workers including COVID-19 testing center and lab employees as well as first responders are eligible to receive the booster shot. Additionally, those who are 65 years or older or ages 50-64 with underlying health conditions are eligible.

Only those who have received the Pfizer vaccine are eligible for the booster shot. Recipients of the Moderna and Johnson and Johnson vaccines cannot get a booster shot at this time.

In order to receive a booster shot, it is recommended that you bring your original COVID-19 vaccination record card.

Clinics will be held on Oct. 5 through Oct. 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1900 S. First St., Champaign, in the east wing of the iHotel. No appointment is required. Eligible individuals are welcome to walk in any time. 

Additional vaccination clinics will be held on Oct. 5-7, 12-14 and 19-21 at Kohl’s Plaza in Champaign from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Appointments have to be made and can be scheduled through MyCarle.

Area pharmacies are also administering booster shots. Visit vaccines.gov for area pharmacies with COVID-19 vaccinations.

Details for when the booster shot will be made available to students and the general public has not been released yet. 

The University isn’t currently requiring booster shots among students, but eligible students are highly encouraged to take a booster shot.