House shows create unique, intimate venue

Sydney Laput

One of the houses a part of the shows is located on West Elm Street in Urbana. House shows become more popular among musicians and students.

By Isabelle Bertolini, Staff Writer

House shows take artists out of their normal environment — bars, real venues, etc. — and bring them to a more intimate space, like home.

Many musicians play at house shows to promote their music and get a feel for performing in front of a crowd.

There normally aren’t huge stages or fancy sound and lighting equipment. The ambiance is similar to a party rather than a performance — the fine line between intermingling and enjoying the entertainment. House shows are typically built around smaller local communities that bring in a mix of regulars and passersby — sometimes small but reliable crowds.

House shows are popular venues for college students.

Mila Matejcek, sophomore in FAA, runs a punk/goth art and music zine called Rabbiteen (@rabbiteenmag).

“House venues are a wonderful way to elevate small and local artists,” Matejcek said. “It’s a great way to connect with other people in the scene, find and support local musicians and, of course, have fun! They’re unique in the sense that they are obviously a lot cheaper than you would expect a music venue to be and are in random people’s houses.”

Although there are a variety of concerts offered on campus through Star Course and in spaces like The Canopy Club, The City Center, etc., a house show lets artists create a close connection with the audience. Typically, the atmosphere is more intimate and attendees are more attentive and willing to interact with the artists at house venues. This helps artists grow their own confidence.

Most people tend to find out about the gigs through social media or signs on campus. Nonetheless, it seems there is little debate as to what area of C-U executes house shows the best.

“Urbana for sure,” Matejcek said. “It’s got the corner on all the artists for some reason.”

There is an abundance of local talent in the C-U area; house shows provide that perfect sweet spot of stepping out of your comfort zone just a little bit but not too much.

“The house show environment tends to be a lot more chill than other kinds of shows, I would say. It’s kind of like being at one of your friends’ parties where you don’t know most of the people there but know that generally you all share something in common. You’re probably in some of the same circles to be able to even find out about the party, right? It’s chaotic, sweaty, and wonderful,” Matejcek added.

House venues have all the same perks as a bar or concert venue but with a less overwhelming vibe. What’s best is that ticket prices for house shows are cheaper than larger concert ticket prices even less than bar covers on some nights.

“Generally, there’s a cover fee at the door,” Matejcek said. “They tend to be cheap, with like $5 or donate to the band styled covers.”

There are a variety of similarities and differences between concert venues and house shows.

“They are similar to concerts in that there’s (hopefully) going to be a good band playing a set when you go,” Matejcek said.
“They’re different in that it’s much more casual, and I think it’s easier to view the band as people rather than some group you maybe idolize and spend way too much money to see.”

Those who are interested in house shows can learn more about them through flyers on campus, through word of mouth or through social media. Accounts such as @halfhouse.shows, @waluigismansion_cu, @thecollectivemagazine and @the_spicerackofficial share information about the house venue and artist scene in Champaign-Urbana.