Illinois swim & dive concludes season in Ann Arbor, sends off two program greats

Logan Hodson

Senior Madelyn Crosby exits the pool after completing her dive during a meet against Nebraska on Jan. 22. Crosby placed 54 at the NCAA Diving Championship with a score of 214.35.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

The Illinois swim & dive team competed in Ann Arbor, Michigan this week for a shot at the NCAA Diving Championship.

Five Illinois divers qualified to compete in the meet, however, only three traveled to Ann Arbor.

Sophomore Taylor Michael, who qualified for the one-meter and three-meter dive, suffered a concussion that forced her to withdraw from the meet. 

Sophomore Allison Landis, who qualified for the one-meter dive, chose not to compete in the meet.

Day one saw seniors Taylor Shegos and Madelyn Crosby conclude their Illinois careers in the one-meter dive.

Shegos, a 2020 All-American, finished in 27th place with a score of 248.05. Shegos wrapped up her career as a school record holder in both one-meter and three-meter diving.

Crosby also finished her Illinois career as a strong and consistent contributor to the diving team, finishing the meet in 54th place with a score of 214.35.

Day two saw sophomore Brooke Michael finish in 30th place with a score of 248.55 in the three-meter dive.

Michael finished off a productive 2021-2022 season that saw her break her personal bests on multiple occasions this season, establishing a more permanent role on the diving team.

No Illinois divers advanced to the finals round or qualified for the NCAA Diving Championship.

@JonathanAlday7