Champaign City Council introduces two new employees, discusses various resolutions

The Champaign City Council held its weekly meeting on Tuesday, introducing two new employees and focusing on a number of resolutions. 

Derek Braun was introduced as the festival district coordinator and Brett Johnson as the emergency management coordinator. 

The first resolution was one approving the appointment of John Easley to the Neighborhood Services Advisory Board in Champaign. This motion was passed. 

An ordinance approving the final plat of Boulder Ridge Eighth Subdivision was also passed. This area is a 15.1 acre development with thirty-six residential lots and four common lots to be utilized for stormwater. 

A resolution to approve a major variation for the property at 1757 W. Kirby Ave. was approved, as recommended by the Zoning Board of Appeals. The major variation will allow for a restaurant drive through to cross a portion of the access aisle for Old Farm off-street parking in the Commercial District. This resolution was passed. 

Later, a resolution accepting a bid and authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract for the roof replacement of Champaign Fire Station One was also passed. 

A resolution executing an agreement for the construction of the first phase of the Downtown Plaza Project, a plan to “reimagine a City-owned parking lot into a vibrant public plaza,” was passed. A professional services agreement with Clark Dietz, Inc. a construction engineering service, has also been passed.

The final resolution of the meeting was one authorizing the purchase of a midsize aerial lift truck. This resolution was passed. 

The meeting concluded with public comment, followed by council and City Manager comments.