Fantastic regular season ends with Illinois men’s gymnastics atop Big Ten

The+mens+gymnastics+team+yells+with+excitement+as+their+teammate+completes+a+successful+routine+at+the+meet+with+Michigan+on+Feb.+3.+
Isaac Pinkus
The mens gymnastics team yells with excitement as their teammate completes a successful routine at the meet with Michigan on Feb. 3.

No. 4 Illinois men’s gymnastics secured a narrow win Saturday afternoon against No. 6 Penn State, 406.500-405.950. On top of adding yet another win to their impressive season, the Illini claimed a share of the regular season Big Ten championship with an overall record of 13-3 and a 3-1 mark in the Big Ten. No. 5 Nebraska is currently 2-1 in conference and can also grab a share of the title with a win over Ohio State on March 26.

The Illini started strong on the floor where sophomore Tate Costa, senior Sebastian Ingersoll and graduate students Michael Fletcher, Connor McCool and Evan Manivong all scored a total of 68.300 points. Manivong took third place with his score of 13.900; meanwhile, Fletcher and McCool tied for first place both earning 14.300.

Up next on the pommel horse, freshman Brandon Dang, junior Max Farkhadau, senior Will Hauke, Ingersoll and Fletcher scored a combined total of 68.600 points. The Illini also swept the top three spots for pommel with Ingersoll in third with 13.900 points, Hauke in second with 14.100 points and Dang in first with 14.750 points.

The still rings were a turning point for the Illini against the Nittany Lions, as they did not win the event and no Illini placed in the top three. Despite this, sophomore Kyle Mayotte, Ingersoll and seniors Ashton Anaya, Ethan Boder and Logan Myers all scored 65.050 points for the Illini. Halfway through the meet, Illinois held onto a narrow lead against Penn State, 201.950-200.850.

After their lowest-scoring event, the Illini rallied to earn their most event points with 71.450 points on the vault. This impressive score was earned by freshman Vahe Petrosyan, junior Amari Sewell, Fletcher, Manivong, and McCool. Sewell ultimately won first place in the event, scoring 14.750 points. However, Penn State found just as much success on the vault and inched 0.350 points closer in the running total (273.400-272.650). 

At this point in the competition, Illinois held an even more narrow lead (0.750). The Illini responded in dramatic fashion on parallel bars as Myers, Petrosyan, Costa, Haule and Fletcher’s performances netted an additional 66.900 points. This was over two points higher than Penn State’s 64.750 output. Petrosyan came in third place earning 13.750 points while Hauke took second place with a score of 14.000.

On the high bar, sophomore Ryan Vanichtheeranont, Mayotte, Manivong, Costa and Fletcher were able to secure a win for the Illini earning a total of 66.200 points. Vanichtheeranont also took first place with a 14.000 on the event. Illinois had no athletes compete in the all-around competition. 

Sewell said that none of the Illini’s results were a coincidence and that head coach Daniel Ribeiro’s analytical side worked to elevate their strengths.

“It doesn’t happen by accident; Dan is a very analytical person with numbers,” Sewell said. “If a score happens to where it might be very high, usually it’s happened in the gym because we practiced it that way.”

Illinois men’s gymnastics hosts the Big Ten championship meet at the State Farm Center from April 5-6.