Report: Brad Underwood continues portal heater, gets commitment from Ben Humrichous

Photo Courtesy of Evansville Athletics
Senior Ben Humrichous holds the basketball for the University of Evansville Aces.

Illinois basketball continues a complete roster change following their Elite Eight run this spring, securing yet another commitment. Four-star transfer Ben Humrichous has committed to the Illini, according to Michael Gross of WEHT-TV.

Humrichous is an interesting prospect, coming to Champaign as a senior. His career started at Huntington University, an NAIA institution in Indiana. The 6-foot-9 forward stayed in Indiana last season when he joined the Evansville Purple Aces. 

His reputation of being a steady big shooter at the NAIA level translated to Division I in 2023-24, as he knocked down 41.4% of his 5.3 three-point attempts per game. This ability diversifies his skill set and led the way to his 14.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game that season. 

Illinois enjoyed multiple shooting big men last season, as former Illini Quincy Guerrier and Coleman Hawkins were both capable of filling it up from beyond the arc. Humrichous now steps into that role with rising sophomore forward Carey Booth as Illinois looks to repeat last year’s success. 

This is the fifth incoming transfer for Illinois this offseason, bringing the total list of newcomers up to seven for head coach Brad Underwood’s squad. The Illini still have three scholarships remaining.

@benfader7