Best thrift store: Twice is Nice

By Lucy Bridges, Staff Writer

Urbana’s Twice is Nice Thrift Shop was voted as this year’s best thrift store in Champaign-Urbana. The cozy thrift store is located inside of a house that was built in 1901 right off of campus in Urbana.

Twice is Nice offers a personal and vintage thrift shopping experience with its wide selection of books, clothes, kitchenware and much more.

Twice is Nice was opened in 2008 by the First Presbyterian Church of Urbana. The thrift store was created with the goal of being a more sustainable parish that works to reuse and recycle resources while supporting the C-U community. Now, Twice is Nice has become a favorite thrift destination among students at the University as well.

Walking through the door of Twice is Nice is like walking into a treasure trove full of vintage gems, ranging from bookshelves full of previously loved books, racks of one-of-a-kind women’s clothing, shoes and vintage dishware.

Other items include bookmarks, vintage tins and home decorations. Although the merchandise is special, the experience that comes along with shopping at Twice is Nice is even more unique.

“I think it’s really the personal nature of it. It’s a really fun and kind of funky place,” Melissa Records, manager of the store, said.

Records said that she loves to dedicate her time to the upkeep of Twice is Nice along with the other volunteers. The store is open and accepts donations on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“It’s a chance for people to just get together and talk, and I think people feel comfortable coming here,” she said. “They like coming here regularly because they get to see some of their favorite volunteers.”