Review | Coca-Cola Spiced falls flat of its promises

Bottles+of+spiced+coke+sit+in+the+ISR+shop+fridge+on+Wednesday+Mar.+20.+
Isaac Pinkus
Bottles of spiced coke sit in the ISR shop fridge on Wednesday Mar. 20.

Coca-Cola, a brand that has changed very little over its history, recently released a new flavor that is said to join the cherry and vanilla flavors in becoming a permanent flavor option.

Coca-Cola Spiced hit the shelves on Feb. 19. In an interview with the Associated Press, Coca-Cola’s marketing chief revealed that the main reason for the release of Coca-Cola Spiced was to appeal to the new generation of consumers who gravitate toward spicier products.

In the past, Coca-Cola has released limited-edition flavors that increased the brand’s novelty. Such limited edition “Coca-Cola Creations” include Coca-Cola Starlight, Byte, Marshmello’s Limited Edition Coca-Cola, Dreamworld, Move, Ultimate, Y3000, Happy Tears and K-Wave. 

When it comes to the term “spicy,” a beverage is the last thing that comes to mind. The only confirmed flavor in Coca-Cola Spiced is raspberry — the rest of the spiced recipe is kept secret by the company.

The company describes the flavor as “blending the iconic taste of Coca‑Cola with a burst of refreshing notes from raspberry and spiced flavors,” which offers “an uplifting taste experience.”

Upon first sip, the raspberry flavor profile is very forward. Quickly following the raspberry is a second, more subtle flavor. The exact taste of the second flavor is difficult to describe but has a similar effect to cinnamon.

Overall, the “spice” seems to take on the theme of spices typically used with sweeter flavor profiles rather than tongue-tingling, sweat-inducing flavors. 

While Coca-Cola Spiced is a unique flavor, it won’t be the first flavor you’ll grab off the shelf. 

After several sips of the soda, the raspberry flavor becomes overpowering and overly sweet despite the company’s attempts to create a spicy flavor.

The effect of the sweet raspberry and confusing spice profile creates a sickeningly medicinal aftertaste.  

Compared to the classic cherry, vanilla and even the combination of the two, Coca-Cola Spiced ultimately falls flat of its promises, making it difficult to foresee a future where the flavor becomes a staple of the company.