Review | Farren’s Pub & Eatery is a must-try burger spot

Emma Pyatt
A BBQ Chicken Bacon sandwich with onion rings from Farren’s Pub and Eatery.

Rating: 9/10

Tucked into the corner of Taylor and Walnut streets in downtown Champaign lies Farren’s Pub & Eatery, an unassuming restaurant that serves classic American cuisine and delicious burgers. 

The inside dining hall features a large bar with an extensive selection of cocktails and draft beers. The decor and environment are welcoming, with red brick walls, artwork and pop music playing softly in the background.

Farren’s has been serving the Champaign community since 2000, a fact proudly displayed on their 32-ounce soft drink cups. While the ambiance is pleasant, the restaurant truly shines with its food.

The tomato and red pepper soup is an excellent appetizer to start with. The creamy soup is rich in flavor — though not so heavy as to overpower the entire meal — and the undertones of red pepper compliment the tomato nicely. 

The fried pickles are also a solid appetizer to enjoy before a meal. The salty brine from the pickles gives a nice bite to the dense batter. While the pickles are tasty, they are a little on the heavy side, so be warned before devouring handfuls of them.

The spicy cauliflower is also an enjoyable starter. The breading is delicious, but a little heavy. The spicy flavor is also a little lost in the richness of the cauliflower, which could have benefitted from a dip in a spicy sauce to mitigate its dryness.

Both the cauliflower and pickles are elevated by ranch dressing, which is served with both appetizers.

While the appetizers don’t disappoint, Farren’s magnum opus is its burger selection. According to the menu, the meat is sourced locally from Old Time Meat & Deli, and you can certainly taste the freshness. The flavor is rich and savory and is perfectly complemented with a freshly toasted brioche bun.

“The Russell,” a burger with sautéed mushrooms, bacon, blue cheese sauce and pepper jack cheese, was outstanding. The blue cheese sauce is the real highlight of this burger and manages to be rich but not overpowering. Other toppings like pickles, lettuce, tomato and onion are served on the side upon request.

The steak and cheese sandwich was also excellent. The steak’s rich flavor was able to punch through the melty provolone cheese, and the crispy bread was a great touch.

All sandwiches and burgers are served with a side of tricolor tortilla chips or fries. The tortilla chips are a nice addition to the sandwiches, and their mild salty flavor helps cut through the richness of the meat.

Farren’s Pub & Eatery is a must-try for any burger enthusiast in the Champaign-Urbana area. Delicious food, combined with affordable prices and friendly, attentive service makes Farren’s a fantastic option for anyone hungry in downtown Champaign.