Best places to score a meal, watch Homecoming game

Legends+locates+on+green+st.%2C+opens+from+11+am+-+2am.+
Candice Zhou
Legends locates on green st., opens from 11 am – 2am.

Homecoming at the University often calls for a game plan off the field. While on a campus known for its nightlife, you’re sure to find yourself accommodated by our local taprooms. 

Students and families alike will be able to watch the game with school pride and a good beer. If drinking is not for them, food will be available at many of these spots.

Here is our guide to some local sports bars to celebrate this season’s game.

Legends

In the heart of Green Street is Legends, a bar and grill known for its burgers. Established in 1998, the bar is complete with Illinois sports memorabilia across the walls, including one of Red Grange’s old uniforms.

Aside from drinking, watching sports and socializing, the taproom offers slots for patrons to play their hand at. 

The bar offers your classic assortment of bar foods like various burgers and loaded fries. Legends will be open on game day from 11-2 a.m.

Murphy’s Pub

Right off Green and Sixth streets lies Murphy’s Pub. First opened in 1969, Murphy’s Pub is a calmer alternative to many of the local bars on campus. 

The Irish pub has a wide range of games, beers and food to offer. Patrons can choose from the 25 available beers to enjoy, alongside classic pub grub, including Wisconsin cheese curds, fish and chips and beer-battered onion rings. 

Murphy’s Pub also offers billiards and air hockey. The pub is open from 11-2 a.m.

Bunny’s Tavern

For families, Bunny’s Tavern is a kid-friendly restaurant and bar that first opened in downtown Urbana in 1936. 

They serve full meals and appetizers and carry beers from Triptych Brewing and Urbana-based Riggs Beer Company. The space has live music and large TVs for local sports fans. 

Bunny’s Tavern is open from 7-1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Illini Inn

Along South Fourth Street, the Illini Inn, established in 1970, is a spot known for its school pride. The bar is known for its Illini Melts, two slices of Texas Toast with different fillings. 

The establishment also offers a variety of cocktails, shots and appetizers to accompany you during your viewing. Starters include a half pound of pickle chips and a wide selection of chicken wings. 

The Inn opens at 11 a.m. and closes at 2 a.m.

Pia’s Sports Bar & Grill

First opened in 1975, Pia’s Sports Bar & Grill is an off-campus option to watch the game. The Illinois-themed bar is located on West Springfield Avenue.

The menu includes Italian beef, fish fry and mozzarella sticks. It is home to a host of activities like video poker and a gaming bar. The bar is open from 7-1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Fat City Bar & Grill

Located at 505 S. Chestnut St., just outside of Campustown, Fat City Bar & Grill is a sports bar and live music venue inside a former beer garden.

The beer selection is wide and their food includes po’boys and burgers. Alongside music and the bar, they have a gaming area open to customers. 

Fat City is open from 5 p.m. to midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

Brothers Bar & Grill

After closing a few years ago, Brothers Bar & Grill is back at a new location on South First Street. The bar has a selection of sharable bar foods, like nachos and chicken tenders as well as entrees. Its drinks include 21 different flavors served in 32-ounce pitchers.

The venue has large TVs, a dance floor, games for patrons and a patio space. Brothers is open from 11-2 a.m. every day.

Guido’s Bar & Grill

Guido’s Bar & Grill, first opened in 2003, sits in the heart of downtown Champaign on Main Street and has a tavern-style setting. 

The locally owned bar has TVs for sports fans. It also has a large variety of beers and cocktails and a specialty alcoholic milkshake called “Boozy Shakes.” It has American and Mexican foods as appetizers and entrees. 

The tavern is open from 11-2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Aspen Tap House

Located at 2001 S. Neil St., Aspen Tap House is a sports bar known for its food and variety of beers on tap.

It has unique appetizers like fried mushrooms and crispy pickle chips as well as larger dishes like the black Angus ribeye steak. On tap, they have a variety of pilsners, IPAs and more.

Their operating hours are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.