Your guide to Dads Weekend 2023 events

Dads Weekend will take place this year from Nov. 10-12 and will feature a variety of exciting events. Whether your dad is a sports fan, a concert fiend or a social butterfly, there should be something in this one-stop guide he will love.

Nonprofit organization Illini Dads Association has a weekend full of on-campus events planned, and there are plenty of off-campus events as well. Champaign and Urbana are towns that always have something happening!

Sports

For hockey enjoyers, Illinois is taking on McKendree University back-to-back at 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. The games, taking place at the Ice Arena, have tickets available for $5 for students and youth, $13 for adults and are free for children ages 6 and under at the Illinois Ticket Office.

If you prefer games with a ball instead of a puck, you’re in luck! A men’s basketball game is also taking place at 7 p.m. on Friday. The Illini will play Oakland University at the State Farm Center for the second game of the official season. 

Ticket prices range from $10 for students and $40 for the public to $175 for lower bowl seating. 

There is also a football game this weekend, taking place on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Illinois will play Indiana University with public ticket prices ranging from $20 to $75.

Anyone who prefers to take part in sports rather than watch them can register for the Illini Dads 5K race, taking place on the morning of Nov. 12. The participation price is $33. Dads and their children are encouraged to register as a team.

According to the Illini Dads Association, the event, like all Dads Weekend events, is a fundraiser. All proceeds will go to scholarships and grants for Illinois students.

Illini Dads Association events

Before the football game on Saturday, a pregame meal will be hosted two hours before kickoff at the ARC. The food will be provided by Hickory River Smokehouse and admission is $25 per person. Tickets must be preordered in advance.

The Dads Association is hosting a Sunday brunch at the Illini Union in rooms A, B and C. The buffet-style event has an admission fee of $25 and goes from 10 a.m. to noon. Registration in advance is required.

Social events

New Student & Family Experiences and the LGBTQIA+ Ally Network Training Committee are hosting a safe-space social event for families to mingle. The event is on Friday at 6 p.m. in Illini Union room 103. 

For any dancing dads, the Illini Union Board is hosting a free dance aerobics event on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in room 314 of the Illini Union.

Live music and entertainment

If your dad is seeking a low-key casual evening of music, Erik Lund and friends will be at the Rose Bowl Tavern on Friday from 5-7 p.m. for a night of energetic jazz and good beer. The event is free.

At 7 p.m. on Saturday, a capella group No Comment will perform at Foellinger Auditorium. Tickets are $15 per person. 

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts will host the Jupiter String Quartet with Kirsten Docter on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Foellinger Great Hall. The folk-themed program will explore South Asian puppet theater, the American Creole experience and more. Ticket prices range from $10 to $60.

The Varsity Men’s Glee Club will perform a Dads Day concert at KCPA on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Conducted by Barrington Coleman, the all-male ensemble will present a concert full of wonderful music at Foellinger Great Hall. Ticket prices range from $4 to $10.

The Canopy Club is hosting a Micro-Wrestling Allstars event where, according to The Canopy Club’s website, athletes will “smack the hell out of each other.” Tickets for the Friday event are available now and range from $25 to $50.

On Nov. 12 at 9 p.m., The Canopy Club is hosting Mersiv, a producer and DJ, for a set. On Mersiv’s website, his music is described as “a discovery of oneself through music.” Tickets are $22.

Drinks

Urbana wine bar and store Analog is hosting a large wine-tasting event at 1 p.m. on Saturday. According to its website, it will have a curated selection of 25-30 wines and special pricing so patrons can stock up for the upcoming holiday season. Event tickets are $28.