CU shows you can’t miss this February 

Lucas Sun
Enthusiastic audience members enjoy a Taylor Swift tune at Canopy Club on Friday.

The coldest, shortest month of the year is upon us. While February may feel like a drag, Champaign-Urbana isn’t slowing down with the constant flow of entertainment coming to your favorite local venues.

With a visit from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, themed parties honoring Taylor Swift and One Direction, a Folk & Roots themed weekend and more, the next four weeks truly have something for everyone. Look no further than the list below to find all the info you need on your favorite upcoming events.

At The Canopy Club

The Canopy Club starts the month off strong with a Taylor Swift night this Friday. While “Swift Me Away” will not feature the pop star in person, the 18+ party will undoubtedly start your month off on a high.

Additional February events under the Canopy will include a free show from STRETCH on Feb. 7, as well as a return to the stage from local artist Emily How the following night (Feb. 8) with openers heaving., Grey Slush and Sweetmelk.

Generating considerable hype on campus already is the upcoming One Direction-themed party, which takes place on Feb. 9. Further parties of the month will include a Super Bowl watch party and afterparty with DJ King Louie on Feb. 11 and the return of K-Pop Night on Feb. 23.

Other can’t-miss performances of the month are back-to-back shows with emo cover band Emo Kids on Feb. 15 and a stop from dance music duo TWINSICK on their Hard Launch tour on Feb. 16.

The Canopy Club’s complete February calendar of events can be found here.

At the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts will host a diverse range of performances per usual, most notably a visit from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on Feb. 22. The program will include Shostakovich’s ninth symphony, Tchaikovsky’s first piano concerto, Mussorgsky’s “Prelude to Khovanshchina” and Saariaho’s “Ciel d’Hiver.”

The festivities will continue with assorted dance performances, beginning the month with three days of “February Dance 2024” from Dance at Illinois followed by two nights of the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble on Feb. 9 and 10.

Illinois Theatre will light up the Studio Theatre with its production of “Witch” from Feb. 9-17. In the midst of this production will be the colorful Carnaval on Feb. 13, which celebrates music and dance across the world with festivities in Foellinger Great Hall.

A complete calendar of the KCPA’s February events can be found here.

At the Rose Bowl Tavern

With live music and entertainment every night, there is no shortage of events taking place this month at Urbana’s Rose Bowl Tavern.

All are welcome to bundle up Feb. 8-10 with the CU Folk & Roots Festival’s Winter Weekend, featuring performances from Haki N Dem, The Neon Grass Lighters, The Bashful Youngens, Hannah Rose & The Sweet Nothings and more.

Tavern standards will be in place the whole month as usual, including the Urbana Hootenanny every Monday night and Trivia Night followed by a Jazz Jam every Wednesday.

Don’t miss the Two Shoes album release show on Feb. 24, some Grateful Dead covers from Sunshine Daydream on Feb. 17 and a Cajun themed “Fat Tuesday” on Feb. 13 with the Turino Family Band and New Orleans Jazz Machine.

The Rose Bowl Tavern’s February event calendar can be found here.

Around town

Both on and off campus, C-U continues to light up outside of the venues listed above. 

Cotton Club’s variety show will be taking place Feb. 17 at Foellinger Auditorium. The event, this year titled “Illini’n Out,” will be complete with an afterparty at Joe’s Brewery. 

The Virginia Theatre is holding two performances titled “The Magic of Motown” Feb. 9 and 10. The 15 vocalists and six-piece band will perform a variety of Motown hits with choreography and costumes to match.

Downtown Champaign’s newest venue, The Space, will host open mic nights every Tuesday along with Trivia Mondays and Mario Kart tournaments on Thursdays. The diner-like space offers smash burgers to accompany your entertainment experience.