Local shows to catch this March

Friends+dance+together+during+the+battle+of+the+bands+concert+held+at+Canopy+Club+on+Thursday+night.+
James Hoeck
Friends dance together during the battle of the bands concert held at Canopy Club on Thursday night.

As we near the midpoint of the second semester, spirits are lifting with spring break in sight. The weather’s getting nicer — kind of —, workloads are getting lighter — but not really at all — and maybe things are looking up — emphasis on the “maybe”—?

If you’re in need of a week-seven-through-11 pick-me-up — boy, do we have just the thing for you. The Daily Illini has your back with a list of upcoming live shows in Champaign-Urbana: all at easily accessible venues for you to enjoy.

At The Canopy Club

Per usual, The Canopy Club is packed with live shows and something for everything this month. 

The Saturday of Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day weekend has a full schedule starting with a performance from the University’s own Girls Next Door a capella starting at 7 p.m. The party continues with an 18-plus event “F’Yo Unofficial,” starring DJ Rollie and featuring food trucks along with the music.

The Canopy Club’s “Discover” series continues throughout the month, introducing you to newer local artists with performances from Femi Ishola, Garden Girl, 404 and Haunted X Humans.

Drag will be taking the venue by storm with a “Leprechaun-fident” drag show on March 17 and the seventh annual “Purim Drag Show,” which returns on March 21 and donates all profits to Uniting Pride of Champaign County. 

Recurring shows such as “Latin Night” with DJ ZAY and “Cypher Saturdays” return to The Canopy Club on March 8 and March 16. To cap off special events of the month, the venue will present a Pink Floyd-themed laser show on March 22 and “The High Note Project” on March 23.

The Canopy Club’s complete March event calendar can be found here.

At the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts kicks off its March calendar with two different shows running this weekend — Illinois Theatre’s performance of “Airness” at Fat City Bar and Grill and Dance at Illinois’s “Studiodance 2024” in the Studio Theatre.

This weekend ends with a bang with a performance from the Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra, the national orchestra of Bulgaria. The program consists of three Mozart works. Student tickets are currently available for $10.

A free workshop will be available as an “ELLNORA Reverb Event” to carry on the fun and great music of KCPA’s biennial ELLNORA guitar festival. Led by Derek Gripper and Ballaké Sissoko, the workshop will explore the music of the classical guitar as well as the kora. 

The venue will additionally be hosting multiple free tours of the space throughout the month. According to KCPA’s website, a student tour guide will take you through the venue and share details on each of the building’s performance spaces. 

KCPA’s full March calendar can be found here.

At the Rose Bowl Tavern

The Rose Bowl Tavern is the place to go this St. Patrick’s Day weekend, as the weekend’s events will include a performance from Wild Earp & The Free For Alls on March 15, a “Drink N Drag” event on March 16 and conclude with the “C-U Irish Session” on the holiday itself.

The Rose Bowl Tavern will additionally host an 18-plus Girls Rock! show on March 21 featuring powerhouse local groups Emily the Band, Taurus Hate Club and Garden Girl. With no cover, any donations will go directly to C-U Girls Rock!, a summer camp that educates young girls, transgender and gender nonconforming youth in music.

Don’t forget to finish off the month with an album release show on March 29 starring Modern Drugs and additionally featuring bands OTNES and local artist Emily How.

A night of hip-hop, R&B and soul will follow on March 30 with a combined show consisting of Trouble Chasin’, Haki N Dem and Ms. Jones If You Nasty.

The Rose Bowl Tavern’s March event calendar can be found here.

Around town

Comedian Hasan Minhaj will be stopping by Champaign’s own Virginia Theatre for two shows of his “Off With His Head” tour on March 24. More information on the event including ticket purchase options can be found here.

The Virginia Theatre will also present the 90-minute show “Ancient Aliens LIVE” on March 29 to celebrate the “Ancient Aliens” program of the History Channel. According to the event description, the live show will cover “thought-provoking extraterrestrial theories on fan-favorite topics from Ancient Egypt to the moon, paving the long road to Disclosure.”

Gallery Art Bar will host multiple genre-themed feature events throughout the month, including R&B night on March 15 and live Brazilian music hosted by the University’s own Goio Lima every Wednesday night. 

The bar is also set to host local bands Venus Overdrive, Afro D & Global Soundwaves, ZENTHERAPPER and more throughout the month. The venue’s complete March calendar can be found here.

The Space in downtown Champaign continues its tradition of open mic nights every Tuesday night, adding some special events such as Taylor Swift Trivia on Sunday and a performance from The Smoking Popes on March 23. The Space’s full March calendar can be found here.