buzz calendar (Jan. 4-Jan. 7)

By Carolina Garibay (not used)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected].

Thursday, Jan. 4

Jordan and Jill Acoustic Happy Hour

6-9 p.m.

Boomerangs Bar & Grill, 1309 E. Washington St, Urbana

Free, all ages

A free, fun, acoustic show from this amazing duo!

Rocky (1976)

7-9 p.m.

The Virginia Theatre, 203 W Park Ave, Champaign

$5, PG

Are you already on the verge of breaking your self-promise to work out in 2018? Restore your resolution to exercise by watching “Rocky” which depicts the life of a resilient boxer.

Staff Selections Secret Screening Series Hooray: X07

10-11 p.m.

The Art Theater, 126 W Church St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Check out The Art Theater staff members’ selection of movies, which will continue for the next two weeks at 10pm everyday. Each event is free to attend.

Friday, Jan 5

Illini Farm Toy Show and Auction

3-7 p.m. (Jan 6, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.)

Wyndham Garden Hotel, 1001 W. Killarney St, Urbana

$2-$3, all ages

Champaign County Farm Bureau Young Ag Leaders and Vermilion County Farm Bureau Young Leaders are hosting the annual Illini Farm Toy Show. There will be lots of farm toy vendors and collectible items with featured items. The Farm Bureau Learning Barn will be available for hands-on agricultural play time. Kids scavenger hunts will be available with small prizes for completed hunts.

Urbana Flag Design Awards & Party

5-8 p.m.

Broadway Food Hall, 401 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Inspired by the City of Urbana’s history, arts, nature, technology, culture, citizens, visitors, professional and enthusiast designers have created a spread of wondrous flag designs for your judging pleasure. There will be multiple awards given, including the People’s Urbana Flag Award! Note: This is a contest for an unofficial Urbana flag, there is no guarantee that a flag from this competition will be adopted by the city.

Saturday, Jan. 6

First Annual Christmas Tree Drop Off

12-3 p.m.

Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery, 4410 N. Lincoln Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Bring your Christmas tree and a PFF&C staffer will inspect it prior to donating it to the goats. Goats love eating Christmas trees – and the trees are good for them!  Also check out their farm store, the Real Stand, to pick up cheese, gelato, and PFF&C gear.

FreshRN New Nurse Meet-Up

1-5 p.m.

Grace Community Church, 2901 Watterson Ct, Champaign

Free, all ages

Find out what goes on behind the scenes of hospitals and get practical tips from experienced healthcare professional. Reserve your spot at  https://www.facebook.com/events/286724151733636/. Bring questions or comment at the web page.

Winter Wellness, an Introduction to Ayurveda with Jodi Adams

1:30-3:30 p.m.

Amara Yoga & Arts, 300 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$25-$30, all ages

With a basic understanding of Ayurveda, the sister science of yoga, you can learn how to nourish yourself in this season of hibernation. During this healing workshop, you will learn simple, practical and empowering tools for daily self-love and self-care on your own personal journey. Please bring a notebook or a special journal and your favorite pen. No yoga experience is required to attend. Careful consideration should be made if you are sensitive to scents, are nursing or pregnant.

Sunday, Jan. 7

Krannert Center Tours

3-4 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Each tour is given by a student staff member who will tell you about the history of the building, the unique designs of each performance space, and how the Center operates. The tour will lead you into the theatres, onto the stages, and take you through the production areas of Krannert Center.

Susan Williams and Wright Groove- Road to Memphis Fundraiser

4-7 p.m.

Pipa’s Pub, 604 S Country Fair Dr, Champaign

Free, all ages

On behalf of Prairie Crossroads Blues Society to raise funds. International Blues Challenge participants Susan Williams and Wright Groove are jamming some Memphis blues numbers.