buzz Calendar (Jan. 15-Jan. 17)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

Monday, Jan. 15

Trivia

7-11:45 p.m.

Blackbird Urbana, 119 W. Main St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Join Blackbird for a fun night of trivia every week, hosted by Joe Fun and Nicole Gruber. Win gift cards and bragging rights!

Open Mic Night

8 p.m.-2 a.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

Free 21+, $3 18+

If you’re looking for a creative outlet, head over to Canopy Club with your instruments and your laptops. All genres and styles are welcome at Open Mic Night, but no full bands or DJ sets are allowed.

Mid-October WEFT Sessions

10-11 p.m.

WEFT Community Radio, 113 N Market St, Champaign

Free, all ages

WEFT Community Radio is a great resource where you can stumble across some music gems based in Champaign and Urbana. Tune in to get for some original music that will hopefully calm your nerves wrecked by the beginning of another semester.

Tuesday, Jan. 16

Starting Your Business in Illinois Workshop

3-5 p.m.

Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC – CUSBDC, 1817 S. Neil Street, Suite 100, Champaign

Free, all ages

Always thought that starting a business on your own is a far-fetched idea? Join this informative workshop to get step-by-step guidance and learn hands-on advice from experts. Register at http://www.cusbdc.org/event/starting-business-illinois-workshop-12/, to save your spot.

Moscow Festival Ballet: Swan Lake 

7-9 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$10-$45, 7+

The magnificent beauty of Russian ballet ushers in each spring semester at Krannert Center, captivating audiences of all ages with elegant masterpieces set to symphonic favorites and featuring a company of over 50 dancers. The Moscow Festival Ballet will enliven the stage with Swan Lake’s tale of love and mistaken identity.

Wednesday, Jan. 17

HeroClix

4-6 p.m.

Gopher Mafia Games, 114 Lincoln Square, Urbana

Free, all ages

Collect your heroes, build your teams, and defeat your enemies in the many realms of the HeroClix world. In HeroClix you can be the hero you’ve dreamed of or the villain of your nightmares. With thousands of characters to choose from and maps of terrain from all over the universe, who knows where HeroClix will take you.

The Upper Bout’s 4th Anniversary

6-7 p.m.

The Upper Bout, 723 S Neil St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Stop by The Upper Bout at 6 p.m.to fill out your entry for an opportunity to win a $100 gift card. You are also welcome to take a group photo at 5:30 p.m. with the staff in celebration of The Upper Bout’s 4th anniversary of serving the community with guitars.

Unit 4 PTA Council Town Hall on Gun Violence

6:30-8:30 p.m.

Illinois Terminal, 45 E University Ave, Champaign

Free, all ages

One of the pressing issues in the United States is gun violence which has also affected the Champaign and Urbana communities. Discuss recent shootings in the regions and preventative efforts with a number of panelists from the Champaign Police and Champaign County States Attorney.

Moscow Festival Ballet: Don Quixote

7-9 p.m.

$10-$45, all ages

The magnificent beauty of Russian ballet ushers in each spring semester at Krannert Center, captivating audiences of all ages with elegant masterpieces set to symphonic favorites and featuring a company of over 50 dancers. The Moscow Festival Ballet will enliven the stage with the grand adventures of Don Quixote.