buzz Calendar (4.19-4.22)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 19

Earth Week Plant Sale

10 a.m.- 3 p.m.

University of Illinois Main Quad

$3.50, all ages

Students for Environmental Concerns and Red Bison Ecological Restoration will be selling succulents that they have been growing this semester. Succulents will be $3.50 a pop, and each purchase will include free native plant seeds as well.

Curiosity Cube

2:30-6 p.m.

Champaign Public Library, 200 W Green St, Champaign

Free, all ages

THE CURIOSITY CUBE, a mobile science lab, is coming to Champaign. Stop by to try fun, hands-on experiments designed to spark curiosity in visitors of all ages. See you in the library parking lot!

University of Illinois Wheelchair Athletics: A Tradition of Excellence

4 p.m.-5 p.m.

Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Adam Bleakney, UIUC Head Coach, Men’s and Women’s Track, Field and Racing, and Stephanie Wheeler, UIUC Head Coach, Women’s Basketball, will discuss the program’s roots, its legacy, and its continuing leadership and success in wheelchair sports.

StudioDance II

7:30-9 p.m. (Apr 19-Apr 21)

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$10-$17, all ages

Always expect delightful surprises in Studiodance II, when Dance at Illinois students present their dance-making investigations curated by a panel of faculty and students. May contain adult content.

DJ Pauly D

9 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

$25-$70, 18+

Born in Providence, Rhode Island, Paul “DJ Pauly D” DelVecchio is recognized for his musical talent as well as his reality star status on MTV’s highest-rated show, “Jersey Shore,” which premiered in December 2009. Pauly’s unique style and honing of his DJ skills since the age of 16 have given him the ability to mix in and out of top 40 and house music, introducing an entirely new essence to dance music.

Champaign-Urbana Goth/Industrial Night

10:30 p.m.-2 a.m.

Clark Bar, 207 W. Clark St., Champaign

Free, 19+

On Thursday, April 19, the local goth community will be getting together at Clark Bar. We’ll be taking over the TouchTunes jukebox to play all of our favorite songs. Loading the TouchTunes app on your phone before you come is suggested, but not required.

April 20

Donuts for Derby

7-10 a.m.

Corner of Kirby and S. Oak St, Champaign

$10/box of donuts, all ages

Drive by or walk by and pick up a dozen Krispy Kremes for only $10 a box! We don’t have Krispy Kreme Donuts in Champaign-Urbana, so be sure to get yours while they last. Be the MOST popular person at work when you show up with a couple dozen fresh Krispy Kremes!

Open Glassware Painting Studio

6-8 p.m.

Broadway Food Hall, 401 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$15, all ages

Fun and easy wine glass painting, get creative! Take home a beautiful glass hand painted by YOU! No experience needed.

An Evening with Fossils

6-9 p.m.

Lincolnshire Fields Country Club, 2000 Byrnebruk Dr, Champaign

$50, all ages

An Evening with Fossils is a fundraiser for the University of Illinois PRI Center for Paleontology featuring Dr. Sam Heads and his team. Support your inner child with the opportunity to touch real fossils. There will be heavy appetizers provided by Lincolnshire Fields Country Club with Cash bar with a signature fossil themed drink.

Weekend Film Series: Den of Thieves

7-10 p.m.

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St, Urbana

Free w/ iCard, all ages

Nick O’Brien is the hard-drinking leader of the Regulators, an elite unit of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. Ray Merrimen is the recently paroled leader of the Outlaws. O’Brien, Merrimen and their crews soon find themselves on a direct collision course as the criminals hatch an elaborate plan for a seemingly impossible heist — the city’s Federal Reserve Bank.

Porn and Chicken

9 p.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$10-$20, 18+

Porn and Chicken is an electronic music group from Chicago, IL. Composed of members Dom Brown, Orville Kline, Fei Tang, and Ammo, they come together to create a live performance that consists of both porn and chicken. Their music turns any room into a dance party, and their energy radiates off stage. They are joined by Avant and Flapjacks.

Urbana Boulders: After Hours

9:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m.

Urbana Boulders, 1502 N. Cunningham Ave, Urbana

$10, 18+

Join Urbana Boulders for a night of karaoke, climbing, and fun at their first ever Urbana Boulders: After Hours! The gym will be open for an extra two and a half hours, have karaoke, and fun! Beer and other refreshments will be provided.

April 21

Record Store Day

7 a.m.- 8 p.m.

See You CD & Vinyl, 123 W. Main St, Urbana

Varies, all ages

The store will be opening the doors early so that all of you RSD fans can be sure to grab your hyper-limited exclusives! At 7 a.m., there will be coffee and donuts for everyone up early waiting in line! This year there will be 60+ Record Store Day Exclusives! And like always they will be restocking the shelves with 100+ great restocks and new releases.

Record Store Day 2018

7 a.m.-10 p.m.

Exile on Main Street, 100 N. Chestnut St #120, Champaign

Donations strongly encouraged, all ages

Exile is currently at 75% of their fundraising goal for this year’s RSD. Chip in (pre-pay, basically) if you can so they can have everything you all want in stock! 

Design for Circularity: Social Hack 2018

10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Psychology Building Room 32, 603 E Daniel St, Champaign

Free, all ages

During this event, you will learn about the human-centered design process, the methods of creating a circular solution, and finish by applying these concepts and creating your own solution. You don’t need to have prior knowledge or have a specific major; we are here to share these insights with you! Lunch will be provided. Registration closes April 20th.

Love Wars // ACA’s Annual Cultural Show

4 p.m.

Free w/ iCard, $5 for public, 18+

On Saturday, head out and enjoy ACA’s cultural show: a fashion show!

Opening Night: 2018 MFA Exhibition

5-7 p.m.

Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion

Free, all ages

This annual exhibition represents the culmination of intense artistic development for graduate students in studio art and design. Meet the artists as they open this exhibition to the public.

Reggae Party Spring 2018

10 p.m.

$10-$20, 18+

The African Cultural Association presents the Spring 2018 Reggae Party! Come check out Afro Vybez featuring sounds by DJ Matrix and DJ Cuppy! Student ID required.

April 22

Time Machine: Ancient China

1-3:30 p.m.

Free, all ages

This family-friendly event explores Ancient China with hands-on activities. Learn about calligraphy, painting, and the terracotta soldiers of the first emperor’s tomb. Look for presentations by area experts on Chinese history and culture.

Varsity Men’s Glee Club Spring Concert

3-5 p.m.

McKinley Presbyterian Church, 809 5th St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Come join the Varsity Men’s Glee Club in their annual Spring Concert!

From Russia with Love

3:30 p.m.

Foellinger Auditorium, 709 S. Mathews Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music are bringing to campus the wonderful University of Wisconsin Russian Folk Orchestra for an afternoon of delightful music and a pre-concert talk about Russian folk orchestra traditions in America and the start of the University of Illinois Russian Folk Orchestra under the direction of John Garvey.

Skate-a-Thon

5:30-7:30 p.m.

University of Illinois Ice Arena, 406 E. Armory Ave, Champaign

$10, all ages

Let’s go Illini! Come skate for a great cause: to end pediatric brain cancer. Bring your friends & make this an amazing 2 hours for children who need us. All proceeds from the event will go to The Ross K. MacNeill Foundation that funds pediatric brain cancer research.

Friends Trivia Night

7-9 p.m.

Rafters Draft & Dough, 1906 W. Bradley Ave., Champaign

$5/person, $20/table, 19+

Friends Trivia Night! Guaranteed tables are limited to the first 15 teams, so to reserve your table have a member of your team e-mail [email protected] for further instructions. Top teams win prizes!

Caitlyn Smith

9 p.m.

$15-$18, 18+

Caitlyn Smith is a country artist from Cannon Falls, MN. She grew up singing and performing in church and at fairs, and has perfected her craft ever since. Her natural ability to entertain combined with her soothing voice and lyrics come together to create a unique show that is not one to miss! She is joined by Andrea Davidson.