buzz Calendar (4/30-5/2)

The buzz calendar is a compilation of events happening in the Champaign-Urbana area. Follow our top picks every Monday and Thursday for ideas on what to do on any night of the week, from where to eat to what to watch.

Want to submit an event? Email [email protected]

April 30

Free Fitness Week

(April 30-May 2) 6 a.m.-8 p.m.

Urbana Park District, 505 W. Stoughton St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Try out any fitness classes at the Phillips Recreation Center, the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center, the Anita Purves Nature Center or Brookens Gym absolutely FREE for this week. Be sure to ask your instructor for a participation waiver before class. You can find a schedule of all fitness classes here: https://bit.ly/2HUmwoi

Your Story Matters: Nepantla: Navigating the Intersections of Identity

12-1 p.m.

University of Illinois Women’s Resources Center, 616 E. Green St. Suite 202, Champaign

Free, all ages

Presented by Rusty Barcelo Come join us for the final installment in the Spring 2018 Your Story Matters series (part of Quench)! Rusty Barcelo will be presenting on “Nepantla: Navigating the Intersections of Identity.” Food will be provided.

Animal Topiary Class

6:30-7:30 p.m.

Danville Gardens Too, 1413 N Prospect Ave, Champaign

$5+, all ages

Plant your animal topiary with a wide variety of small plants and help from a DG employee. We encourage you to bring your own topiary frame or purchase them ahead of time from either our Main Location in Danville or our Champaign store. There may be a few available for purchase at the time of the class. Class is limited to 10 people.

Parkland Jazz Combo Concert

7-8:30 p.m.

Parkland College Theatre Productions, 2400 W Bradley Ave, Champaign

Free, all age

Come out for an enjoyable evening of music in a casual “club style” setting at Parkland College Second Stage Theatre! Complimentary snacks and drinks will be provided.

Knife Skill presented by TIME Scholars

7-8:30 p.m.

215 Gregory Hall, 810 S. Wright St, Urbana

Free, all ages

TIME Scholars present a free screening of Oscar-nominated documentary “Knife Skills.” The film follows the launch of an haute cuisine restaurant in Cleveland, staffed by men and women recently released from prison. It is a film about re-entry, second chances, and the healing power of fine food. There will be a short discussion afterward.

The Merry Travelers Pop Up

7-8:30 p.m.

Sipyard, 204 W. Main St, Urbana

Free, all ages

The Merry Travelers are a local folk-psychedelic group with originals and covers to share. Join them for a bit of music in downtown Urbana’s most authentic outdoor hangout spot. Good vibes central, all are welcome.

May 1

May Day Celebration

4:30-10 p.m.

Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana

Free, all ages

Come celebrate International Workers Day with potluck food, live music and a showing of the film “The Young Karl Marx,” with a discussion after the film with Professors Ken Salo, Lou Turner, and David Wilson. Live music from 8 PM to 10 PM featuring NUCLEI, Travis French, Kelsey Sharp, David and Josh, and more.

Breakfast for Dinner Buffet

6-8 p.m.

Harvest Market, 2029 S Neil Street, Champaign

$7.99 per lb, all ages

It’s that time again. Kick off studying for your finals with breakfast for dinner. Students show you ID for $2.00 OFF! Beverages not included.

Naleśniki Night

7-8:30 p.m.

1107 S 2nd St, Champaign

Free, all ages

Get ready for Zagloba Polish Club’s last food event of the semester! Come by for some delicious, home-made naleśniki (Polish crepes) with your choice of toppings! We hope to see you all sharing some delicious naleśniki with us!

Tuesday Jazz

7-10 p.m.

Boomerangs Bar & Grill, 1309 E. Washington St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Every Tuesday Boomerangs clears the Boom-Stage for the best jazz musicians in the region – cats like Donnie Heitler, Jeff Helgesen, Chip McNeil, Josh Quirk, Clark Gibson (on occasion!), and many many more.

UI Symphony Orchestra and UI Choirs: Britten’s War Requiem

7:30-9 p.m.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

$4-$10, all ages

The premier orchestra at the University of Illinois will combine with preeminent Illinois choral groups to perform a variety of works in this concert.

Suspiria (4K Restoration)

7:30-9:30 p.m.

The Art Theater, 126 W. Church St., Champaign

$8.50-$10, R

The University of Illinois Press presents the 4K Restoration of Dario Argento’s SUSPIRIA for a special one-night engagement. Andrew Cooper, author of “Dario Argento” from the Contemporary Film Directors series, will be holding a post-show Skype Q&A to discuss both SUSPIRIA and the director’s incredible body of work. University of Illinois Press will be on site with a special pop-up bookshop with books available for purchase.

Open Mic Night

8 p.m.-2 a.m.

The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

21+ free, Under 21 $3, 18+

If you’re looking for a creative outlet, head over to Canopy Club with your instruments and your laptops. All genres and styles are welcome at Open Mic Night, but no full bands or DJ sets are allowed.

May 2

Jade Sotomayor at Lavender Grad After Party

8p.m.-2 a.m.

51 Main, 51 E Main St, Champaign

Free, 19+

Lavender Graduation is an annual ceremony conducted on numerous campuses to honor lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and ally students and to acknowledge their achievements and contributions to the University of Illinois!

Tarot, PSychic & Numerology Readings with Dawn

12-5 p.m.

Beads N Botanicals, 117 N. Broadway Ave, Urbana

$15-$100, all ages

Dawn loves to help others find the path in their life that will bring them to a place of harmony and peace. A psychic numerologist and tarot reader, she combines her clairaudient gifts with numerology to give detailed readings. She is able to look at any area of your life. If you need to gain insight into love, work, or financial she can help

Let’s Talk About Adulting

2-4 p.m.

BrewLab Coffee, 620 S. Fifth St., Champaign

Free, all ages

If you have questions about your next steps in college or even after college, we’re here to help! Career Coaches from The Career Center on campus will be on site at Brewlab, drop in any time and ask our coaches anything. The first 20 students to come will receive a $1 coupon off any drink.

Inaugural Book Club

6-7 p.m.

Barnes & Noble, 65 E Marketview Dr, Champaign

Free, all ages

Join us for our inaugural Book Club featuring The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer! Attendees will have a chance to win a signed copy of the book. If you have already bought the book, be sure to bring your coupons that printed out at time of purchase for a special treat. Please RSVP by contacting the store at 217-355-2045

Public Art League, Kentucky Derby, Cinco de Mayo, FUN!

5-7 p.m.

Art Mart, 1705 S Prospect Ave, Champaign

$10, all ages

What better way to kick off the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo weekend than supporting your local Public Art League? Stop by to taste wine, beer, and of course Bourbon and Tequila. Appetizers included. Can it get any better than that? And all for a great cause.

Your Brain Never Stops

5:30-6:30 p.m.

Crane Alley, 115 W. Main St, Urbana

Free, all ages

Join the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology for their latest Chambana Science Cafe talk, “Your Brain Never Stops,” by Assistant Professor of Psychology Sepideh Sadaghiani Friberg of the Beckman Institute. Free food while it lasts!

The Crane Project: De-Stress from Finals

6-7:30p.m.

Asian American Cultural Center, 1210 W. Nevada St, Urbana

Free, all ages

AACC student interns have put together a new initiative to promote Asian American awareness on campus and inspire those in the Asian American community through the Crane Project. During these workshops, they will explain what they want to do with the Crane Project and make cranes throughout the time. If you don’t have experience, it’s totally fine. There will be supplies to make the cranes.