Column | ‘Superman’ stands strong after 45 years

Today marks 45 years since the release of the original “Superman” film. 

The story of an alien orphan who grows up to become one of Earth’s greatest heroes is one that is still considered to be a timeless classic. Since the release of the original film, many renditions and series have been produced, keeping the “Superman” legacy alive. 

Directed by Richard Donner, “Superman” starred Christopher Reeve as the title hero. Unlike many of cinema’s favorite superhero movies, audiences did not see Superman’s iconic blue and yellow uniform until one hour into the film. 

Instead, the film begins on the planet Krypton, Superman’s home planet. It carries a lot of worldbuilding sequences, as Superman is not from Earth. Its slow-starting story builds up to the iconic scenes that movie lovers continue to rave about. 

Christopher Reeve is remembered as an actor who portrayed Superman in a much more nuanced and spectacular way than he is credited for. His built physique and perfectly laid hair swoons audiences as he performs tasks that no human is able to. 

Reeve’s work in the film left “Superman” to rise to fame, transforming the action scene into the popular genre it is today. 

“Superman” was a huge hit to theaters, depicting a more slow telling of its plot lines — a contrast to the action-packed thrills that movies hold today. Yet, its restrained choice does not lose the interest of the audience; the film is packed with rich characters and storyline, making for a pleasant watch. 

“It is literally the film that started the superhero film genre,” critic Krishna Shenoi writes for Roger Ebert. “Without it, there would be no ‘Batman,’ no ‘X-Men,’ no ‘Iron Man.’”

Critically acclaimed, the film secured 17 Oscars and 23 nominations. Some of the awards included the 1979 Oscar Nominee for “Best Sound,” “Best Film Editing” and “Best Music.” 

Reeve and many of the other starring “Superman” actors were additionally nominated for their performances at the 1979 Saturn Awards. 

Since the release of this film, the Superman franchise has been established and greatly expanded. The most recent releases of “Superman” include: “Krypton,” a TV show starting in 2018, and the most recent movie released in 2016, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” starring Ben Affleck. 

“Superman” continues to remind us of how far action movies have come along. And even at 45 years old, the film remains a fan favorite and cinematic masterpiece.