Cage The Elephant makes long-awaited return with ‘Out Loud’ and ‘Neon Pill’

Album+cover+of+Neon+Pill+by+Cage+The+Elephant.+
Photo courtesy of Genius
Album cover of Neon Pill by Cage The Elephant.

Rating: 7/10

Cage The Elephant is back with a series of releases and huge announcements. 

The group has officially released two singles, “Out Loud” and “Neon Pill,” and announced a new album and tour dates.

Their latest single, “Out Loud,” is a somber ballad that encompasses the grief that brothers Matthew and Brad Schultz have been dealing with since the recent loss of their father. 

The two lost their father in November 2020. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Matthew Schultz calls the single “a subconscious apology” to his father for his mistakes of the past. 

“Out Loud” is much simpler than prior Cage The Elephant songs and focuses a lot of attention on meaningful lyrics. The verses tell a story of a protagonist prematurely storming out of his previous life to pursue his vices. 

Upon realizing his depressing and painful lifestyle, Matthew Schultz sings “clipped those wings and I came back home.” The protagonist has come down from his manic high and sees the damage he has done to himself and those around him. He’s now left to pick up the pieces and move on. 

The chorus interrupts this story with the recognition of his mistakes as Schultz sings, “Man, I really messed up now/ Too afraid to say it out loud.” 

The lyric sums up the entire theme of the song — Schultz has come to terms with his mistakes from the past and is dealing with the difficulty of voicing his pain. 

This song is part of a long process for Schultz that involves speaking about his mental health and his journey through outpatient therapy. Overall, Schultz is reconciling with himself, his father and his supporters. 

“Neon Pill” is much more reminiscent of past Cage The Elephant tracks, containing a catchy melody with energetic drums and distorted lead guitar licks. 

The title track tells the story of an unhealthy relationship that the protagonist cannot seem to escape from. The relationship is symbolized by a “Neon Pill,” as Schultz compares it to an enticing drug. 

The verses and choruses contradict one another, as the verses reveal the protagonist’s thrill that comes from the relationship and show his confidence that the two will meet again. 

Back at it again/ Birds of a feather/ Until the end,” Schultz sings, highlighting the familiarity that the pair shares in this relationship.

Continuing in the chorus, Schultz sings “Like a loaded gun, my love.” This direct comparison shows how despite the comfort and familiarity he feels from the relationship, it is volatile and bound to end in disaster. Regardless of the toxicity, he cannot seem to pull himself away.

Matthew Schultz faced controversy early in 2023 as he was arrested for possession of two loaded guns in a New York City hotel. He was caught when a hotel employee witnessed him holding a gun in an open area of the building. 

During his trial, Schultz pleaded guilty to three charges of attempted criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of a firearm and criminal possession of a weapon. The lead singer took a no-jail plea deal and complied with law enforcement throughout.

It’s been a rough period for the 40-year-old rockstar, as he has recently opened up about his recent mental health crisis that he claims led to his arrest. 

“It’s a miracle that I’m here today,” Schultz wrote in a recently deleted Instagram post. “I was arrested last year, and it undoubtedly saved my life.”

Schultz continued to explain that he had slipped into psychosis as a result of an iatrogenic response to a prescribed medication. He attributes his climb back to mental clarity to his wife, Eva Daire, and his close friends and family. 

Cage The Elephant looks to return to the spotlight after this difficult stretch as they announced tour dates for the summer of 2024, as well as a new album, “Neon Pill,” set to be released on May 17. 

The highly anticipated album marks the first to be released by the rock band since “Social Cues” in April 2019, and this tour will be the first time since November 2022 that they will perform live.