The Daily Illini COVID-19 updates for April 23: Stay-at-home extended, new government stimulus package

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

The U.S. House of Representatives approved another $484 billion for coronavirus relief on Thursday. The bill is headed to President Trump’s desk, and he’s said he will quickly sign it.

The new package will inject over $320 billion into the Paycheck Protection Program, which provides forgivable loans to small businesses that retain their employees, after high demand flushed out the original funds. The package will also provide $75 billion to hospitals and $25 billion for more coronavirus testing.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker extended the state’s stay-at-home order through May 30 on Thursday. Most people age 2 or older are now required to wear masks in public, and employers of essential businesses must provide masks to employees who can’t maintain social distance. All business customers and employees will be required to wear face coverings in public.

Pritzker said he will add greenhouses, garden centers, nurseries and pet groomers to the list of businesses allowed to open in May. Parks and golf courses will be allowed to reopen as well, with a full list of parks updated on the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website. Fishing and boating are permitted in solo trips or groups of two, but hunting is still prohibited statewide.

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health Department announced two more cases of the coronavirus in Champaign County on Thursday, bringing the countywide total to 100 cases.

Of the 100 cases, 16 are active, 79 have recovered and five have died. Six people with active cases are currently hospitalized. Less than 5% of Champaign County’s 2,208 tests have proven positive. County health officials recommend anyone with symptoms — fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue and loss of taste or smell — to get tested.

Champaign County will have serology testing for coronavirus antibodies sometime in the next two weeks, said Carle Chief Quality Officer Bob Healy at a virtual briefing Thursday. Carle is currently validating the testing using blood from pre-coronavirus drawings and comparing it with blood drawn from Champaign’s positive cases.

Healy said antibody tests will be distributed to residents on referrals from healthcare providers. Antibody testing will begin with residents who’ve shown symptoms, but county officials plan to expand testing in the future, Healy said.

A local mask drive for essential business employees is scheduled for Tuesday, April 28, from 7 a.m.-9 p.m. in the backlot of WCIA 3 News at 509 S. Neil St. in Champaign. Instructions for drop-off can be found on their website.

Confirmed cases of coronavirus as of April 23, 7:30 p.m. 

World: 2,703,615 cases (+80,200); 190,490 deaths (+7,463); 737,864 recoveries (+28,323)

United States: 866,646 cases (+26,971); 49,759 deaths (+4,720); 79,938 recoveries (+4,649) with 4,660,250 tested (+193,691)

Illinois: 36,934 cases (+1,826); 1,688 deaths (+123) with 173,316 tested (+8,970)

Chicago: 15,073 cases (+679); 641 deaths (+37)

Champaign County: 100 cases (+2); five deaths; 79 recoveries with 2,208 tested (+105)