Young the Giant’s Eric Cannata on touring, meeting his idol, college

By Pari Apostolakos, Managing Editor for Reporting

October 21, 2019

Alternative rock band Young the Giant started out in 2004 as a group of high school friends from Irvine, California. Now, hit songs like My Body, Cough Syrup, It’s About Time and Superposition have all peaked within the top five on the Billboard Hot 100. The band released its fourth and latest album, Mirror ...

Band kids: the Hindsley Symphonic Band experience

By Vi Aldunate, Contributing Writer

October 15, 2019

Students flood the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts year-round for its extensive breadth of performances offered, but on Sunday night, the Hindsley Symphonic Band attracted family members and other community members, alongside the University student population. As with many Krannert live shows,...

Flannel Fest offers fun fall festivities

By Liam Dwyer, Staff Writer

October 14, 2019

It can be easy to forget Champaign-Urbana is much closer to a small rural town than a sprawling metropolis. This year’s Flannel Fest was a great reminder and celebration of the college town’s small-town spirit. The idea of Flannel Fest is simple: It’s a small gathering at Hessel Park where the public...

Nostalgic Halloween films, scary movies to screen in CU

By Features Staff

October 14, 2019

It’s October in the early 2000s. Maybe your family is making dinner. Maybe you’ve already eaten. But it’s nighttime, and ABC Family’s “31 Nights of Halloween” is in full swing, where a Halloween-themed movie is played every night in October leading up to the holiday itself. Favorites incl...

University graduate student secures spot on TV show

By Features Staff Report

October 8, 2019

A University graduate student secured a spot on Kelly Clarkson’s team on NBC’s television series “The Voice.” Melinda Rodriguez, graduate student in Music, sang Eva Cassidy’s “What a Wonderful World” on Sept. 30 to earn mentorship with Clarkson and is continuing on in the 17th season of the Em...

Spurlock Museum showcases drag glamour

Spurlock Museum showcases drag glamour

By Ken Xia, Contributing Writer

October 3, 2019

The Spurlock Museum is home to several ethnographic artifacts and keepsakes; however, until recently, the museum has been hosting an exhibition about drag queens. The exhibition, In Her Closet: How To Make a Drag Queen, puts up various  costumes and materials used by drag queens who are connected to th...

Second annual Ebert Symposium sheds light on diversity in media

By Brielle Scullark, Contributing Writer

October 1, 2019

Most people can agree diversity and inclusion have not been characteristics synonymous with cinema and the media. The Chaz and Roger Ebert Symposium brought attention to this on Friday, stressing the need for different voices, faces and experiences in the media. This year’s theme was “Creating...

Antoni steps out of the kitchen, onto the stage

September 29, 2019

Antoni Porowski, food and wine expert on Netflix’s Emmy-award winning reality series “Queer Eye,” spent an evening at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts during the Pygmalion Festival on Friday. Porowski entered Foellinger Great Hall and began a discussion moderated by Michelle Zauner ...

Music of our mornings: Student “Saxophone Man” revealed

By Banu Gulecyuz, Contributing Writer

September 25, 2019

It’s Monday at 9:17 a.m. on the intersection of the Undergraduate Library to the Main Quad. As students scramble to their morning classes, the sound of a deep, compelling saxophone leaves some smiling as they continue on their way. For most students whose days are set up for stressful and hard work,...

Drag queen Sasha Velour comes back to her roots with visionary performance

By Eunice Alpasan, Staff Writer

September 17, 2019

Drag queen Sasha Velour told a story on the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts’ Colwell Playhouse stage on Saturday. When she went to art school in Vermont, Velour was tasked to put on its first drag show. But what was expected to be a fun night of lip-syncing, the school instead got a full-blown...

Open Mic moves to another Espresso Royale

By Therese Pokorney, Features Editor

September 16, 2019

Since the creation of the online audio distribution platform SoundCloud, artists and podcasters could freely upload their art for millions of users to listen to across the world. However, many poets and writers seem to get the short end of the stick and are left to perform in a live setting for people t...

The Collective revamps CU art community

The Collective revamps CU art community

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

September 11, 2019

When Emma Sielaff was a sophomore, she and her friends felt the student art community, while ubiquitous, was also unorganized. “There were a lot of our friends that were in different social groups that were all interested in the same things and being creative, but didn’t have a central place ...

Next Page »