Kevin Bacon reflects on his role in summer blockbuster

Kevin Bacon stars as Theo Conroy in

By Jared Ebanks, Assistant Features Editor

June 26, 2020

As the world adapts to a global pandemic, content creators such as filmmakers had to quickly decide whether their movies would premiere months behind schedule in a theater, or offer on-demand viewing. Over the past month, Universal Studios has offered two of its projected summer blockbusters for on-demand ...

Virtual rap tournament reinvigorates local hip hop

The bracket for the $500 Verse4Verse rap battle tournament lays filled out up until the final round.

By Karena Tse, Staff Writer

May 31, 2020

Throughout the month of May, 16 Illinois emcees competed in the single-elimination Verse4Verse Quarantine Tournament for a $500 cash prize. Seven different cities were represented in the bracket, including Champaign. Now, two local powerhouses remain standing in the final match: Chase Baby and Black Mag...

Canopy Club open mic night moves online

Lead singer of Beach Bunny, Lili Trafilio, smiles out at the audience while performing at the Canopy Club on Sept. 27, 2019.

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editor

April 16, 2020

The Canopy Club opened its doors to the public in 1998 and has been home to some of the most entertaining nightlife and live performances ever since. Hosting a wide variety of performers including up-and-coming artists to well-established rockstars to local budding musicians, The Canopy Club has had...

COVID-19 impacts arts community

Two patrons view a piece of art at the Boneyard  Arts Festival in April 2019. The festival was canceled this year due to the coronavirus.

By Bridget Boisvert Curtis, Contributing Writer

March 24, 2020

Only a couple weeks ago, the stages and galleries at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts were filled with music playing through the large halls and crowds of people teeming to see performances. As the end of March nears, the performing arts center is eerily empty, echoing with the uncertain, str...

Tony-award winning ‘Cabaret’ dazzles Krannert

The cast of “Cabaret” performs during a dress rehearsal at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, located at 500 S. Goodwin Ave. The show runs Thursdays-Sundays until March 8.

By Bridget Boisvert Curtis, Contributing writer

March 2, 2020

Suddenly, from the dark, the red-lipped, stiletto-clad Masters of Ceremonies at the eccentric Kit Kat Klub steals the spotlight and begins singing “Wilkommen,” welcoming the audience into the whirlwind world of the 1930s, set in a decadent cabaret in a pre-Nazi Berlin. In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Kran...

Improv groups on campus find life lessons in comedy

Members of the Hive Society perform at the Illini Union on Friday. The Hive Society is an improv group on campus that allows comedy fans to express themselves and entertain the community.

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

March 2, 2020

At 8 years old, Elizabeth Wilson, junior in LAS, waited patiently throughout the week for her favorite night, Saturday night. Most kids that age are getting ready for bed or finishing up a cartoon but not Wilson. She sat, eyes glued to the television, in anticipation of her favorite show, “Saturday N...

University students steal TikTok show, go viral

(From left to right) John Koulentes, Sam Fourlas and Ayal Zipris pose with the wet floor sign and closet door from their most viral tik toks. The video using the wet floor sign is at 3.3 million views and the closet door video is closely following at 3.3 million views.

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

February 17, 2020

When the now-viral video sharing app TikTok launched in 2017, social media users gravitated to the new platform because it was relatively untouched and had unique content and features. TikTok burst onto the scene in late 2018 when the company merged with startup Musical.ly. The apps shared similar featu...

Emerging La Estación Gallery explores objects in new exhibition

Alicia De León's

By Zulema Herrera, Staff Writer

February 10, 2020

The copy room at the Department of Latino/a Studies building has TVs on the left and right walls. The one to the right shows an unapologetic Paulina Camacho Valencia eating cow tongue like it's her last meal. Valencia, graduate student in FAA, titled her piece “Lengua Madre” because she says art is ma...

‘Harry Potter’ class asks students to analyze western perspective

Laurie Johnson, professor in LAS, poses with “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” Tuesday. She is currently teaching GER 199/CWL 199: Harry Potter and Western Culture.

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

February 6, 2020

As time goes on, generations watch as beloved childhood books and movies evolve, and their meanings are interpreted differently. They hold a diverse amount of knowledge and learning material about that era. Here at the University, faculty have developed courses around pop culture. GER 199/ CWN 199: Ha...

Shanghai Ballet’s ‘Butterfly Lovers’ showcases traditional Chinese love story

The Shanghai Ballet performs at the Krannert Center for Performing arts on Jan. 29. The dance group debuted their original performance of ‘Butterfly Lovers’ on Jan. 28.

By Ken Xia, Staff Writer

February 3, 2020

The famous Chinese ballet performing group, Shanghai Ballet, gave their performance of “Butterfly Lovers,” a Chinese ancient love story, at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Jan. 28 and 29. Renamed in 1979 at the base of The White-Haired Girl performing team, this performing group continue...

Illinettes dance into basketball season, around the world

The Illinettes walk through Laney College in Oakland, California, preceding the Redbox Bowl on Dec. 29. To earn a spot on the team, the dancers go through an intense audition process, which involves a prepared solo and a learned routine taught by the captains.

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

January 30, 2020

At every home football and basketball game, spectators can see the Illinettes, the University’s official dance team. Made up of students who have been dancing their whole lives, the Illinettes are responsible for helping to entertain crowds during games.  The Illinettes are part of the Marching Illi...

Art club voices frustration at University funding

Julia Morrison sells her artwork at The Collective Magazine's Fall 2018 Art Gallery at Chez Bon Bon.

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

December 10, 2019

When Chantal Vaca found out RSO funding was included in student fees, she was intrigued, especially because she’s a co-founder of The Collective, an arts magazine and RSO.  “I had no idea that each student paid a set amount on their fees to the University. It’s not something that has been ad...

Next Page »