CU Planet Music keeps Hip Hop alive in pandemic

V8 Vast Change  performs at Coffeehouse & Deli in Normal, IL on Dec. 7, 2019.
January 5, 2021

Tres Mercer waited, like he had hundreds of times before, for his cue to take the stage as rapper 94 Cove. He visualized his performance and heard the music in his head. Familiar nerves fluttered at his...

Banners, Bottles, Bowls: Spurlock highlights United States politics, movements

The Spurlock Museum on Nov. 9 is pictured above.
December 17, 2020

A ceramic cup from William Henry Harrison’s campaign, a perfume bottle with John Adams’ bust pasted onto the glass and a Suffragette sash are currently housed in Spurlock Museum’s new exhibit.  The...

Mike Kinsella shares American Football journey

Artist Mike Kinsella of American Football poses for a photo in Chicago in 2011.
December 9, 2020

In Urbana, Illinois, amidst the cornfields and the college campus sits a house iconic to fans of emo music, particularly fans of American Football. A photo of the house can be seen on the cover of their...

40North ACE Awards celebrate local artists

Ja Nelle Davenport-Pleasure poses with the group of kids she taught to ballroom dance at the Lincoln Square Mall, on Aug. 18, 2019.
December 4, 2020

Ja Nelle Davenport-Pleasure said she has a tagline for her life: “sunshine and ponies.” This is not because her life has been, by any metric, sunshine and ponies, but because she believes in seeking...

Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton talk “Freaky”

Kathryn Newton stars in the movie “Freaky.” The film was released on Friday.
November 16, 2020

With the release of their new movie “Freaky,” on Friday, actors Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton logged on to a virtual roundtable with college newspapers from across the country on Nov. 9.  A surprising...

Drummer carries on with musical journey through pandemic

Senior Shravan Raghuram performs on the drums alongside senior saxophonist Kevin King on the South Quad on Oct. 22.
October 28, 2020

Since 2018, Shravan Raghuram, senior in Business, has averaged one live performance per week usually drumming with local funk band The Data Waves. Now several months deep into the pandemic’s sedation...

Virtual series spotlights arts and activism

Sr. Wilson Roca and his daughter perform Brazilian & Afro-Brazilian folkloric music and popular music during the May 6 installment of “Sounds Like Community.” The Zoom series aims to foster a sense of community amidst the pandemic.
October 15, 2020

December 2014, Ja Nelle Pleasure set out on a quest for the impossible: an affordable, spacious and kid-friendly venue to host her son’s birthday party. A string of fallen prospects finally led her...

New American Welcome Center hosts Chinese Cultural Exhibition

Various performers showcase their talents during the Chinese Cultural Exhibition on Saturday. The New American Welcome Center hosted the event online, where they streamed the performances live to viewers.
September 21, 2020

The New American Welcome Center at the University YMCA hosted a welcome week in an effort to bring together organizations, communities, immigrants, refugees and long-time residents to build strong connections,...

Champaign’s rap wizard releases ‘Hold This L’ EP

Local artist Black Mage performs at the Canopy Club on Dec. 8, 2017. He recently released his new EP, “Hold This L.”
September 10, 2020

Deangelo Brown wears many hats — most notably, his wizard hat. As Voldrega the Black Mage, the 32-year-old has emerged as a unique voice in Champaign-Urbana hip-hop. His latest offering, “Hold this...

PBS Short Film Festival highlights independent filmmakers

A promotional image for the PBS Short Film Festival.
July 21, 2020

The Ninth Annual PBS Short Film Festival drew thousands of submissions from creators all across the country. Illinois Public Media presents two of the 25 short films featured: “Paddle Together” by...

Kevin Bacon reflects on his role in summer blockbuster

Kevin Bacon stars as Theo Conroy in
June 26, 2020

As the world adapts to a global pandemic, content creators such as filmmakers had to quickly decide whether their movies would premiere months behind schedule in a theater, or offer on-demand viewing....

Virtual rap tournament reinvigorates local hip hop

The bracket for the $500 Verse4Verse rap battle tournament lays filled out up until the final round.
May 31, 2020

Throughout the month of May, 16 Illinois emcees competed in the single-elimination Verse4Verse Quarantine Tournament for a $500 cash prize. Seven different cities were represented in the bracket, including...

Load more stories