COVID-19 impacts arts community

COVID-19 impacts arts community

By Bridget Boisvert Curtis, Contributing Writer

March 24, 2020

Only a couple weeks ago, the stages and galleries at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts were filled with music playing through the large halls and crowds of people teeming to see performances. As the end of March nears, the performing arts center is eerily empty, echoing with the uncertain, str...

Tony-award winning ‘Cabaret’ dazzles Krannert

By Bridget Boisvert Curtis, Contributing writer

March 2, 2020

Suddenly, from the dark, the red-lipped, stiletto-clad Masters of Ceremonies at the eccentric Kit Kat Klub steals the spotlight and begins singing “Wilkommen,” welcoming the audience into the whirlwind world of the 1930s, set in a decadent cabaret in a pre-Nazi Berlin. In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Kran...

Improv groups on campus find life lessons in comedy

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

March 2, 2020

At 8 years old, Elizabeth Wilson, junior in LAS, waited patiently throughout the week for her favorite night, Saturday night. Most kids that age are getting ready for bed or finishing up a cartoon but not Wilson. She sat, eyes glued to the television, in anticipation of her favorite show, “Saturday N...

University students steal TikTok show, go viral

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

February 17, 2020

When the now-viral video sharing app TikTok launched in 2017, social media users gravitated to the new platform because it was relatively untouched and had unique content and features. TikTok burst onto the scene in late 2018 when the company merged with startup Musical.ly. The apps shared similar featu...

Emerging La Estación Gallery explores objects in new exhibition

By Zulema Herrera, Staff Writer

February 10, 2020

The copy room at the Department of Latino/a Studies building has TVs on the left and right walls. The one to the right shows an unapologetic Paulina Camacho Valencia eating cow tongue like it's her last meal. Valencia, graduate student in FAA, titled her piece “Lengua Madre” because she says art is ma...

‘Harry Potter’ class asks students to analyze western perspective

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

February 6, 2020

As time goes on, generations watch as beloved childhood books and movies evolve, and their meanings are interpreted differently. They hold a diverse amount of knowledge and learning material about that era. Here at the University, faculty have developed courses around pop culture. GER 199/ CWN 199: Ha...

Shanghai Ballet’s ‘Butterfly Lovers’ showcases traditional Chinese love story

By Ken Xia, Staff Writer

February 3, 2020

The famous Chinese ballet performing group, Shanghai Ballet, gave their performance of “Butterfly Lovers,” a Chinese ancient love story, at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Jan. 28 and 29. Renamed in 1979 at the base of The White-Haired Girl performing team, this performing group continue...

Illinettes dance into basketball season, around the world

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

January 30, 2020

At every home football and basketball game, spectators can see the Illinettes, the University’s official dance team. Made up of students who have been dancing their whole lives, the Illinettes are responsible for helping to entertain crowds during games.  The Illinettes are part of the Marching Illi...

Art club voices frustration at University funding

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

December 10, 2019

When Chantal Vaca found out RSO funding was included in student fees, she was intrigued, especially because she’s a co-founder of The Collective, an arts magazine and RSO.  “I had no idea that each student paid a set amount on their fees to the University. It’s not something that has been ad...

Orphans Treasure Box helps orphanages, homeless shelters

By Zhuolin Joanna Liu, Contributing Writer

December 5, 2019

The cheerful doorbell rings again. Another visitor. A second after, the bookstore returns to silence, with only the rustling of pages flipping in the background. No music. Other than brochures and business cards on the counter, a white, marble Jesus Christ statuette catches attention. Away from the aust...

Metaphysical store sells crystals, alternative healing practices

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

November 25, 2019

On the corner of Water and Broadway sits Beads N Botanicals, a metaphysical store offering customers guidance, crystals and art. Unlike other shops in the area, the store hosts tarot card readings, healing work and hypnotherapy sessions.  Catherine Novak, a certified medicinal herbalist and Reiki master in two different ...

Professor examines ‘The Way of Tea’

Professor examines ‘The Way of Tea’

By Vidushi Bhatia, Contributing Writer

November 12, 2019

Walking through the Japan house can be a divine and transformative experience – learning about its roots and culture is even more so.  ARTD 209, Chado (The Way of Tea), is a class on the Japanese tea ceremony, its significance in Japanese culture and its relevance to our lives today. The class...

Next Page »