Krannert Center announces performances in 50th season

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

June 18, 2019

Filed under Around Campus, Arts & Entertainment, Champaign-Urbana, News, Showcase

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts has announced the performances and projects taking part in their upcoming 2019-2020 season, the second in a two-season 50th anniversary celebration of the opening of the center. The center promises a wide variety of performances will grace their stages,...

Urbana Dance Company to hold ribbon cutting ceremony

By Hannah Preston, Interim Editor-in-Chief

May 31, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Life & Culture

On Tuesday, the Urbana Business Association and the City of Urbana plan to host a ribbon cutting ceremony for Urbana Dance Company's space in downtown Urbana, located at 211 W. Main St. A permanent fixture in Urbana since September 2018, the company's goal has remained the same: "to build and strengthen...

Female artists face hardships in CU

Female artists face hardships in CU

By Therese Pokorney, Features Editor

May 2, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Life & Culture, Top Stories

From mixing beats in her free time to opening for Lil Yachty at Spring Jam last week, Kendra Videckis, senior in LAS, has been on the rise in the music industry. Becoming a self-made producer in the EDM community is no small feat, and being a female DJ in a college town creates even more obstacles. ...

Rap Music Leaves an Impact on Campus

Rap Music Leaves an Impact on Campus

By Sarah O’Beirne, Staff Writer

April 25, 2019

For the first time in history, rap music surpassed rock to become the most consumed music genre in the U.S., according to the 2018 Nielsen Music report. With rap music central to college student culture, the University consistently brings rap artists to its Spring Jam. Spring Jam will take place S...

Illinifest 2019 to showcase student filmmaking

By Anna Wright, Staff writer

April 23, 2019

Students can spend their time at the University exploring their self-expression, discovering their passions and unlocking their own creativity. Illinifest 2019, the University’s student film festival, celebrates these pursuits. This year marks the third annual Illinifest. On Saturday, at 5 p.m. in Greg...

Professor writes Japanese cookbook

Professor writes Japanese cookbook

By Olivia Zhang, Staff Writer

April 22, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Food & Restaurants, Life & Culture, Showcase, Top Stories

Kimiko Gunji is the former director of Japan House and former professor of Japanese Arts and Culture at the University. She taught a variety of courses ranging from tea to Japanese flower arrangements and is a highly decorated recipient of awards for her teaching and cultural contributions. Gunji recently...

Krannert Center celebrates 50 years

Krannert Center celebrates 50 years

By Rohit Jammu, Contributing Writer

April 16, 2019

In 1962, Herman Krannert and his wife, Ellnora, decided to make a major contribution to his alma mater, the University. It wasn't until 1969 they built the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, a hub for theater, opera, dance and music. Bridget Lee-Calfas, the center's advertising and publicity...

Drag shows promote identity expression

Drag shows promote identity expression

By Emily Dao, Staff Writer

April 10, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Life & Culture, Showcase, Top Stories

The moment the music starts during a performance, Gigi Mayonaé, last year’s Illinois Drag Wars winner, turns into a “baby Beyoncé.” “When I hit the stage, I think ‘How would Beyoncé do this?’” Mayonaé said. “’How would she carry herself?’ I try to embody what she would do. When I hi...

Cut loose: actors share meaning of musical

By Anna Wright, Contributing Writer

April 8, 2019

“Footloose” has captivated audiences for generations. From Kevin Bacon in the ’80s cult classic to the stage adaption in the late ’90s, the story of Beaumont’s dancing-deprived teens has attracted nearly three decades worth of audiences. Fortunately for University students, this story has now c...

Student-run music festival promotes local talent

By Sarah O'Beirne, Staff Writer

April 5, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Life & Culture, Student Organizations

Flor Fest is a new music festival that aims to unite local musicians in the Champaign-Urbana area on Friday. Students Edgar Cuevas, junior in LAS, and Dania Avila-Cardona, junior in Education, organized the festival to bring the art and culture community together. Cuevas, the president of the festival,...

“Because I Am Your Queen” showcases feminism on, off stage

By Zulema Herrera, Contributing Writer

March 26, 2019

Dr. Kirsten Pullen became the first female head of the theater department in 2017. As a result, she has helped bring the all-female show “Because I am Your Queen (a feminist fantasia)” to the Krannert Center for Performing Arts, debuting March 28. Erica Hernandez, cast member and graduate studen...

The write stuff: Club gives members opportunity to write creatively

By Annabelle Barnett, Contributing Writer

March 13, 2019

Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Life & Culture, Student Organizations, Top Stories

Andy Miles, junior in Media, has always been passionate about writing. To him, writing allows him to express his creativity, which is why he joined the Creative Writing Club his freshman year at the University. Now, he serves as the club’s president. Creative Writing Club meetings typically begin ...

Next Page »