Orphans Treasure Box helps orphanages, homeless shelters

By Zhuolin Joanna Liu, Contributing Writer

December 5, 2019

The cheerful doorbell rings again. Another visitor. A second after, the bookstore returns to silence, with only the rustling of pages flipping in the background. No music. Other than brochures and business cards on the counter, a white, marble Jesus Christ statuette catches attention. Away from the aust...

Metaphysical store sells crystals, alternative healing practices

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

November 25, 2019

On the corner of Water and Broadway sits Beads N Botanicals, a metaphysical store offering customers guidance, crystals and art. Unlike other shops in the area, the store hosts tarot card readings, healing work and hypnotherapy sessions.  Catherine Novak, a certified medicinal herbalist and Reiki master in two different ...

Professor examines ‘The Way of Tea’

Professor examines ‘The Way of Tea’

By Vidushi Bhatia, Contributing Writer

November 12, 2019

Walking through the Japan house can be a divine and transformative experience – learning about its roots and culture is even more so.  ARTD 209, Chado (The Way of Tea), is a class on the Japanese tea ceremony, its significance in Japanese culture and its relevance to our lives today. The class...

Deaf lead paves way for inclusivity in “Titus Andronicus” performance

By Jared Ebanks, Staff Writer

November 11, 2019

Across the country, more efforts are being made to reach all audiences of all abilities, including theaters adding American Sign Language and interpretation services to their performances. ASL interpreters are now part of the performing arts community on campus at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts...

The Kat Walk, new RSO, to strut the quad

By Brielle Scullark, Contributing Writer

November 7, 2019

After modeling in various shows held by other organizations in the black community on campus, Teara Morrow, senior in LAS, envisioned a much larger stage than what had been traditionally done. That stage is the Main Quad. Morrow recognized the power and influence runway modeling has within black cult...

International students experience first American Halloween

By Carmen Martinez, Staff Writer

October 30, 2019

Almost a quarter of the University’s student population consists of international students that come from over 100 different countries. Many experience their first American Halloween while on campus and witness the holiday that has become an iconic aspect of American culture. Olivia Yang, a senior...

Students celebrate Halloween activities with gothic lolita

By Vi Aldunate, Staff Writer

October 29, 2019

For some fans of gothic subcultures, October is a good month for visiting graveyards. Zoë Goldenfeld, senior in LAS, organized a graveyard picnic earlier in October. Goldenfeld and her guests exchanged anecdotes and personal recipes while sitting on an empty plot of ground adjacent to a nineteenth-century...

Soft, impactful music sparks audience curiosity

By Xinyi Li, College of Media Roger Ebert Fellow

October 28, 2019

Editor’s note: Each year, the U of I College of Media Roger Ebert Fellowship sends three new Ebert Fellows to cover a variety of arts and entertainment events. The fellowship begins with the Chicago International Film Festival and ends, in April, with Ebertfest, the annual festival named for the cel...

‘The Apollo’ depicts history of African American artists

By Coltrane Zerai-Che, College of Media Roger Ebert Fellow

October 28, 2019

Editor’s note: Each year, the U of I College of Media Roger Ebert Fellowship sends three new Ebert Fellows to cover a variety of arts and entertainment events. The fellowship begins with the Chicago International Film Festival and ends, in April, with Ebertfest, the annual festival named for the c...

Film festivals change perspective

Film festivals change perspective

By Hallin Burgan, College of Media Roger Ebert Fellow

October 28, 2019

Local artists host Halloween art exhibition

By Anna Pevey, Staff Writer

October 28, 2019

Five flights up the Lincoln Building in Champaign, nestled in a corner studio, is ACME Elfworks Art Space. Melissa Mitchell, a Champaign-based artist and the founder of ACME Elfworks, has been hosting exhibitions in her studio since 2017 as well as using the studio space in general for about nine y...

Young the Giant’s Eric Cannata on touring, meeting his idol, college

By Pari Apostolakos, Managing Editor for Reporting

October 21, 2019

Alternative rock band Young the Giant started out in 2004 as a group of high school friends from Irvine, California. Now, hit songs like My Body, Cough Syrup, It’s About Time and Superposition have all peaked within the top five on the Billboard Hot 100. The band released its fourth and latest album, Mirror ...

Next Page »