Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton talk “Freaky”

Kathryn Newton stars in the movie “Freaky.” The film was released on Friday.
November 16, 2020

With the release of their new movie “Freaky,” on Friday, actors Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton logged on to a virtual roundtable with college newspapers from across the country on Nov. 9.  A surprising...

Drummer carries on with musical journey through pandemic

Senior Shravan Raghuram performs on the drums alongside senior saxophonist Kevin King on the South Quad on Oct. 22.
October 28, 2020

Since 2018, Shravan Raghuram, senior in Business, has averaged one live performance per week usually drumming with local funk band The Data Waves. Now several months deep into the pandemic’s sedation...

Virtual series spotlights arts and activism

Sr. Wilson Roca and his daughter perform Brazilian & Afro-Brazilian folkloric music and popular music during the May 6 installment of “Sounds Like Community.” The Zoom series aims to foster a sense of community amidst the pandemic.
October 15, 2020

December 2014, Ja Nelle Pleasure set out on a quest for the impossible: an affordable, spacious and kid-friendly venue to host her son’s birthday party. A string of fallen prospects finally led her...

New American Welcome Center hosts Chinese Cultural Exhibition

Various performers showcase their talents during the Chinese Cultural Exhibition on Saturday. The New American Welcome Center hosted the event online, where they streamed the performances live to viewers.
September 21, 2020

The New American Welcome Center at the University YMCA hosted a welcome week in an effort to bring together organizations, communities, immigrants, refugees and long-time residents to build strong connections,...

Champaign’s rap wizard releases ‘Hold This L’ EP

Local artist Black Mage performs at the Canopy Club on Dec. 8, 2017. He recently released his new EP, “Hold This L.”
September 10, 2020

Deangelo Brown wears many hats — most notably, his wizard hat. As Voldrega the Black Mage, the 32-year-old has emerged as a unique voice in Champaign-Urbana hip-hop. His latest offering, “Hold this...

PBS Short Film Festival highlights independent filmmakers

A promotional image for the PBS Short Film Festival.
July 21, 2020

The Ninth Annual PBS Short Film Festival drew thousands of submissions from creators all across the country. Illinois Public Media presents two of the 25 short films featured: “Paddle Together” by...

Kevin Bacon reflects on his role in summer blockbuster

Kevin Bacon stars as Theo Conroy in
June 26, 2020

As the world adapts to a global pandemic, content creators such as filmmakers had to quickly decide whether their movies would premiere months behind schedule in a theater, or offer on-demand viewing....

Virtual rap tournament reinvigorates local hip hop

The bracket for the $500 Verse4Verse rap battle tournament lays filled out up until the final round.
May 31, 2020

Throughout the month of May, 16 Illinois emcees competed in the single-elimination Verse4Verse Quarantine Tournament for a $500 cash prize. Seven different cities were represented in the bracket, including...

Canopy Club open mic night moves online

Lead singer of Beach Bunny, Lili Trafilio, smiles out at the audience while performing at the Canopy Club on Sept. 27, 2019.
April 16, 2020

The Canopy Club opened its doors to the public in 1998 and has been home to some of the most entertaining nightlife and live performances ever since. Hosting a wide variety of performers including up-and-coming...

COVID-19 impacts arts community

Two patrons view a piece of art at the Boneyard  Arts Festival in April 2019. The festival was canceled this year due to the coronavirus.
March 24, 2020

Only a couple weeks ago, the stages and galleries at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts were filled with music playing through the large halls and crowds of people teeming to see performances....

Tony-award winning ‘Cabaret’ dazzles Krannert

The cast of “Cabaret” performs during a dress rehearsal at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, located at 500 S. Goodwin Ave. The show runs Thursdays-Sundays until March 8.
March 2, 2020

Suddenly, from the dark, the red-lipped, stiletto-clad Masters of Ceremonies at the eccentric Kit Kat Klub steals the spotlight and begins singing “Wilkommen,” welcoming the audience into the whirlwind...

Improv groups on campus find life lessons in comedy

Members of the Hive Society perform at the Illini Union on Friday. The Hive Society is an improv group on campus that allows comedy fans to express themselves and entertain the community.
University RSOs provide comfort through laughter, community through creativity
March 2, 2020

At 8 years old, Elizabeth Wilson, junior in LAS, waited patiently throughout the week for her favorite night, Saturday night. Most kids that age are getting ready for bed or finishing up a cartoon but...

Load more stories