A student made poster for the A4E Art Exhibition is shown above. Professor Stacey Robinson speaks about art being for everyone.

“We’re designing the world of tomorrow.”

By Mateo Bautista, Staff Writer June 11, 2021

Assistant Professor Stacey Robinson’s pan sizzled and popped on the stove, each crackle of olive oil releasing the mouthwatering scent of vegan sausage into the room. Sporting a black hoodie and sweatpants,...

The Chicago skyline is photographed by Jack Gillespie during a colorful sunset. Students Sierra Reed and Gillespie have garnered thousands of followers through TikTok by making the platform into a business opportunity.

Student influencers launch business through TikTok

By Matt Troher, Investigative News & Longform Editor June 5, 2021

Sierra Reed, senior in Media, joined TikTok during her sophomore year after seeing her roommate having fun with the app. Over a year later, Reed has amassed over 420,000 followers and 14.3 million likes...

An oil painting of a skull inspired by Pieter Claesz and painted by Farwah Tariq, senior in FAA, is shown above. University students show off their creative abilities on campus.

Student artists explore their craft on campus

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer May 29, 2021

There are many various pockets of beauty and inspiration artists found around campus. Iffat Memon, junior in Business, finds inspiration in some expected places, even for the most unconventional of...

An illustration on the senior thesis project poster is shown above. The show was virtually streamed on Friday and Saturday despite setbacks from Covid-19.

Seniors present dance theses despite setbacks

By Farrah Anderson, Assistant Investigative News & Longform Editor May 4, 2021

As a young girl growing up in Chicago, Stephanie Shaw began to dance at church services with her family. Or, as her mom said, Shaw would just “get up and go.”  Shaw said she’s been a dancer ever...

Independent filmmakers thrive despite pandemic

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer May 3, 2021

The year is 1932; all hope is lost in the land down under. A barren, hollow wasteland lies in what was once a fiery warzone fought by the Australian populus against the undefeatable. An enemy...

Pulitzer Prize winner, Tyehimba Jess, spoke at the University over Zoom from April 7-8. Jess gave students the inside scoop on his life and journey to becoming a poet.

Tyehimba Jess recites poetry for students, faculty

By Saada Ridgeway, Contributing Writer April 29, 2021

Nneoma Ohale, junior in LAS, treasured her time discussing poetry at “Craft Talk,” a program created by the Humanities Research Institution to speak with writers of our time. Ohale started writing...

Seniors in the University's Bachelor of Fine Arts acting program pose for a photo. The group is set to perform at the BFA Showcase which will start streaming online today.

Senior acting students prepare for UIUC BFA Showcase

By Carolina Garibay, Buzz Editor April 28, 2021

Broadway’s lights have been off for one year and one month. Broadway.com announced the cancellation of all shows due to COVID-19 on March 12, 2020, and the news struck theater kids and arts lovers everywhere. This...

The UIUC Film Festival poster is shown above. The event will stream online May 1st.

Students revamp UI film festival

By Mateo Bautista, Staff Writer April 27, 2021

The extended absence of big movie releases has caused studios, theaters and film festivals to find other ways for audiences to see their next big movies. Those involved with the UIUC Film Festival, however,...

Senior Kevin King plays his saxophone in front of the Canopy Club on September 23, 2019. King is the older representation of the Universities bustling musician scene, some of whom recently played outside of Ikenberry Commons this week.

Student street musicians compose campus culture

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer April 20, 2021

It’s late Friday afternoon, that last bit of Calculus is done with and there are no more Zoom calls left. A walk outside the dorm to take in the refreshing evening breeze is met with a distant noise....

Arianna Williams, founder of Cre8tives United, poses for a photo wearing Cre8tives United merch on Oct. 3, 2020 at the Garden of the Phoenix in Chicago, Illinois. The group creates a platform for smaller artists to tell their origin stories that will help them gain more traction in the industry.

Cre8tives United provides platform, community for artists

By Jenni Kallenback, Assistant Features Editor April 16, 2021

Arianna Williams, sophomore in Media, grew up surrounded by music and always knew she wanted to write. She combined these interests when she founded Cre8tives United in 2019, which she calls her brand.  Cre8tives...

The Krannert Art Museum is hosting their annual 2021 Master of Fine Arts Exhibition. The gallery is full of interesting pieces that will hold your attention.

Master of Fine Arts exhibition brings engaging experiences

By Mateo Bautista, Staff Writer April 14, 2021

A child guides a pencil across the page to recreate the monster that strolled into their mind while sitting underneath a table. This is one beginning of the lifetimes of work on display at the 2021 Master...

Illini Student Musicals thrives during pandemic

By Alex Lazaro, Contributing Writer March 25, 2021

It is impossible to go anywhere or do anything without seeing the effects of COVID-19. From social distancing guidelines and mask mandates, safety is the number one priority for many. RSOs and other groups...

Load More Stories