Arianna Williams, founder of Cre8tives United, poses for a photo wearing Cre8tives United merch on Oct. 3, 2020 at the Garden of the Phoenix in Chicago, Illinois. The group creates a platform for smaller artists to tell their origin stories that will help them gain more traction in the industry.

Cre8tives United provides platform, community for artists

By Jenni Kallenback, Assistant Features Editor April 16, 2021

Arianna Williams, sophomore in Media, grew up surrounded by music and always knew she wanted to write. She combined these interests when she founded Cre8tives United in 2019, which she calls her brand.  Cre8tives...

The Krannert Art Museum is hosting their annual 2021 Master of Fine Arts Exhibition. The gallery is full of interesting pieces that will hold your attention.

Master of Fine Arts exhibition brings engaging experiences

By Mateo Bautista, Staff Writer April 14, 2021

A child guides a pencil across the page to recreate the monster that strolled into their mind while sitting underneath a table. This is one beginning of the lifetimes of work on display at the 2021 Master...

Illini Student Musicals thrives during pandemic

By Alex Lazaro, Contributing Writer March 25, 2021

It is impossible to go anywhere or do anything without seeing the effects of COVID-19. From social distancing guidelines and mask mandates, safety is the number one priority for many. RSOs and other groups...

Members of the Goodwin Avenue Trio Chanmi Lee, Andrew J. Buckley and Ethan Schlenker pose for a photo. The trio will make their debut on March 27 at Smith Memorial Hall.

The Goodwin Avenue Trio plays on

By Karena Tse, Staff Writer March 23, 2021

One late July afternoon, a clarinetist, a cellist and a pianist made introductions over Zoom. They gathered soon after for a first run of the Brahms Clarinet Trio in A minor. Andrew J. Buckley, a first-year...

Fine arts classes offer valuable skills for non majors

By Mateo Bautista, Contributing Writer March 18, 2021

A student’s burned-out eyes stare at a computer screen, mouse hovering over the Netflix icon. Instead of clicking, she presses the power button and wonder what to do next. The School of Art + Design...

Senior in FAA Sophia Byrd poses for photo. Byrd was nominated for Grammy in the category for Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance.

Sophia Byrd reflects on Grammy nomination

By Matt Troher, Longform Editor March 17, 2021

Sophia Byrd, a senior in FAA, was driving home from the recording studio in the early afternoon on Sunday, March 14, trying to distract herself from something on her mind.  She had just finished recording...

Mother Nature pose for a band photo. The duo has continued their “Miseducation” workshops through Zoom since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Independent Media Center catches up with Mother Nature

By Karena Tse, Staff Writer January 29, 2021

Thin wooden disks dangled from Shasta Matthews’ ears down to her shoulders. Each earring featured a detailed cut-out of Lauryn Hill’s face as immortalized in the 1999 “Miseducation” album cover....

Sophia Byrd performs “PLACE,” the piece nominated for a Grammy award, at the BAM Next Wave Festival in 2018. It was Byrd’s first professional stage job.

UI students, alumni receive Grammy nominations 

By Kayla Mish, Staff Writer January 28, 2021

Sophia Byrd, senior in FAA, was with her siblings over Thanksgiving break when she received a “Congratulations!” text from a friend. At first, she wasn’t sure of what she was congratulated for but...

V8 Vast Change  performs at Coffeehouse & Deli in Normal, IL on Dec. 7, 2019.

CU Planet Music keeps Hip Hop alive in pandemic

By Karena Tse, Staff Writer January 5, 2021

Tres Mercer waited, like he had hundreds of times before, for his cue to take the stage as rapper 94 Cove. He visualized his performance and heard the music in his head. Familiar nerves fluttered at his...

The Spurlock Museum on Nov. 9 is pictured above.

Banners, Bottles, Bowls: Spurlock highlights United States politics, movements

By Gwyn Skiles, Staff Writer December 17, 2020

A ceramic cup from William Henry Harrison’s campaign, a perfume bottle with John Adams’ bust pasted onto the glass and a Suffragette sash are currently housed in Spurlock Museum’s new exhibit.  The...

Artist Mike Kinsella of American Football poses for a photo in Chicago in 2011.

Mike Kinsella shares American Football journey

By Gwyn Skiles, Staff Writer December 9, 2020

In Urbana, Illinois, amidst the cornfields and the college campus sits a house iconic to fans of emo music, particularly fans of American Football. A photo of the house can be seen on the cover of their...

Ja Nelle Davenport-Pleasure poses with the group of kids she taught to ballroom dance at the Lincoln Square Mall, on Aug. 18, 2019.

40North ACE Awards celebrate local artists

By Karena Tse, Staff Writer December 4, 2020

Ja Nelle Davenport-Pleasure said she has a tagline for her life: “sunshine and ponies.” This is not because her life has been, by any metric, sunshine and ponies, but because she believes in seeking...

Load More Stories