Illini Media alum Anita Banerji recounts journey from reporter to civil activist

By Liam Matthews, Staff Writer

Anita Banerji will be inducted into the Illini Media Hall of Fame this coming year. Banerji graduated from the University in 1998 with a bachelor of science in print journalism.

Banerji worked for Illini Media all four years of college, starting out as a beat reporter mostly covering elections at The Daily Illini before becoming copy editor for Illio her senior year. Now, Banerji works as the senior program director for media and technology with the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.

“My time at Illini Media gave me a really great landscape for the importance of collaboration, working with student leaders and also working with student affairs and administration leaders,” Banerji said.

Banerji attributes some of her success in the field of civil activism to her experience in Illini Media.

“Twenty-five years later, to be receiving such an award, it speaks great volumes to the work I started my career with,” Banerji said. “I’m taking those skills I learned as a student reporter and copy editor with me as a civil rights advocate.”