See you in CU: Events you shouldn’t miss this weekend

School is back in session, the temperature is averaging and the skies are looking clear. There are various activities and events being hosted in the Champaign-Urbana community for all students and community members this weekend.

Home Grown Music Festival

This festival will feature local musicians in a two-day celebration of talent. Running from Friday to Saturday, organizers said the event will have food, art and music. It is 18+ admission and ticket prices vary. The festival is located downtown Urbana at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center. 

Urbana’s Market at the Square

Every Saturday, vendors gather at Illinois and Vine Streets in downtown Urbana to endorse their goods to C-U residents. Urbana’s Market at the Square is similar to a farmer’s market, hosting vendors selling food, drinks, art and much more. From May 1 to Oct. 30, the market is open Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon. 

Toast to Taylor Street

May through October hosts a block party series in downtown Champaign called Toast to Taylor Street. This block party only occurs on the first Saturday of every month, and September’s celebration is Saturday. Starting at 4 p.m. and ending at 11 p.m., Toast to Taylor Street brings local and regional talent to the party, hosts designers and vendors to sell their handmade products, and also hosts local brewers. Food is brought by their host, Farren’s Pub & Eatery. 

C-U Indie Day

Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center provides a gathering place for all local music lovers during C-U’s Indie Day. This celebration brings together local independent artists, creatives and musicians. General audiences are welcome Saturday from 2-6 p.m. and all audience members 18+ are welcome to stay as late as 11 p.m. According to Eventbrite, a wide variety of genres are promoted, such as indie jazz, folk, rock and more experimental sounds. Tickets are available to be bought online and their prices vary. 

Latin Night w/ DJ Zay

Looking to head into Campustown this weekend? The Canopy Club is set to host their monthly Latin Night on Saturday. Doors open at 10 p.m. in the Canopy Big Room. September’s Latin Night was promoted as “Un Sabado Sin ti,” in reference to Bad Bunny’s most recent album, “Un Verano Sin ti.” DJ Zay plays a night of reggaetón classics for Latino music-lovers to enjoy. Tickets are available to order online or at the door.