Krannert Center hosts event to sell excess costumes, props

Sumo wrestlers, firefighters, pirates and medieval knights: On Saturday, the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts offered people the chance to slip between different outfits and professions.

Within 10 minutes of the sale opening, every aisle rang with the sound of hangers clacking together. People pulled out clothing in a range of fabric types and colors.

“Am I looking for anything specific?” said Kylie Maurer, a Bloomington-Normal resident. “No, it’s just a whimsical Saturday activity.” 

While Maurer tried clothes on, her friend gathered more clothes that they might like. Within 10 minutes of arriving, they had created mounds of clothes to sift through.

“We love a rummage sale, and so I saw this, and I needed some good in my day,” Maurer said. “So, I forced my friend to come over at 7 a.m. to jump in the car and drive.”

Maurer said she came to the event hoping to find a good corset or pair of pants, but soon saw the sale as a “participatory gallery experience.”

“I love fun weird things like this,” Maurer said. “What a treat to be able to do something so delightful.”

The Krannert Center Costume and Prop Sale happens every two years, said Kira Lyon, assistant properties and rentals director at KCPA.

Many of the costumes and props sold were either donated or made by students, Lyon said.

“(The University) is one of the few programs that has an MFA degree for props,” Lyon said. “We have graduate students take classes from welding to upholstery, scenic painting, history of architecture and decor.”

As students complete their coursework and donations come in, a lot of assets start piling up, Lyon said. To ensure the Krannert Center has room for new pieces, they sell their old props and costumes.

“We’ll go through and see anything that might not be worth repairing,” Lyon said. “But most of it is stuff that we just haven’t used in a long time.”

In preparation for the event, the KCPA put up posters and posted it on their social media, she said. They also put an ad on Craigslist, but Lyon said she did not worry about the turnout.

“People get really excited about this event,” Lyon said. “When we get the word out, people are ready.”