Small fire damages restaurant

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Kristen Sackley

A fire broke out at Long John Silver’s, 1217 N. Prospect Ave., early Sunday morning at about 3:30 a.m.

Champaign Fire Department Captain Wayne Huckstadt said the fire department crew saw smoke coming from the roof of the restaurant upon arrival. He said the crew found a small fire in a storage room caused by items stored too close to the hot water heater.

“It was a moderate fire, but there was heavy smoke and water damage to the room,” Huckstadt said.

He said the Public Health Department was notified, and no one was hurt by the accident.

The restaurant could not be reached for comment at the time.

    Sign up for our newsletter!