‘Unofficial’ leaves campus trashed

By Carly Needham

With no shortage of green beer, claims to Irish descent or enthusiastic college students eager for the excuse to partake in an all day drink-a-thon, Unofficial St. Patrick’s day certainly took its toll on the University in multiple ways.

Local bars and restaurants noticed both the positive and negative effects of the campus-wide celebration.

Though certain bars such as C.O. Daniels, The Clybourne and Kam’s held extended morning hours, Murphy’s Pub kept their regaular hours and still reaped the monetary benefits of Unofficial.

Murphy’s employee Laura Banovic, senior in engineering, said there was a definite increase in business throughout the day and clean up was slightly worse than usual.

Silver Mine Subs Manager Wes Whiteman said one of the sub shops, located at 612 E. Daniel St., Champaign, actually had a record night, seeing sales of more than $1,800 from 5:30 p.m. to closing.

Silver Mine Subs employee Anjail Abdullah, senior in LAS, noticed the negative effects of Unofficial the next day while working delivery.

“Daniel Street smelled so bad that every time I opened the car door I wanted to throw up! The streets reeked of puke and beer,” she said.

Unofficial St. Patrick’s day apparently painted the campus green Friday in more ways than one.

Geovanti’s employee Medin Onur reported a significant increase in business along with an unfortunate excess of vomit.

“Clean-up was torture. People were drunk and puking everywhere; cleaning it was just torture,” Onur said.

The University’s Superintendent of Building Services, Randy Kornegay, said, “There were no adverse problems in the buildings in response to the celebrations.”

Reporting no increase in calls, Kornegay said he knew the celebrations were happening but thought they took place mostly outside of buildings because of Friday’s pleasant weather.

Kevin Duff, the University’s associate director for Grounds and Landscape, said he had only been on campus Friday for about an hour in the early afternoon, but said, “I saw lots of folks on campus wearing green who looked like they were having a great time.”

As far as his response to campus conditions post-Unofficial, Duff hadn’t been notified of anything yet, but said with a chuckle, “I’ll probably hear about it on Monday.”

Though University Facilities and Services did not deal directly with the madness of Unofficial, local authorities sure did.

“I’ve not seen a campus that trashed in a long time,” said Champaign Police Department Sgt. Scott Friedlein about Friday’s festivities. He also said the police department’s resources were strapped as they continuously received call after call.

There were 60 reported liquor-related arrests, a total much higher than normal.