Restaurants across nation dine for hurricane victims

By Yuri Ozeki

In the midst of the overwhelming damage left by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the National Restaurant Association has created a national fundraising event. Today the Dine for America event will take place at participating restaurants across the nation. Restaurants are donating proceeds from today’s profits to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

The birth of the Dine for American event came during one of the nation’s most trying time, after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Restaurants and employees based in Seattle wanted to find a way to help.

Sue Hensley, a University alumna and a previous Illini Media employee, is the spokesman for the National Restaurant Association.

“After Hurricane Katrina and Rita, we were inundated with calls from restaurants from across the country wanting to help out,” Hensley said. “So for the second time, our industry has banned together to help out.”

Mandy Ladd is the general manager of O’Charley’s, 730 W. Town Ctr. Blvd, in Champaign and a 5-year employee. O’Charley’s is participating in the event and also participated in the original Dine for America event in 2001.

“The company really wanted to do something in a big way to help the hurricane victims,” Ladd said “We are based out of Nashville, Tennessee and have lost a couple of stores because of the hurricane.”

Hensley showed great enthusiasm for the large number of participating restaurants.

“There are over 16,000 restaurants nation-wide participating in the event,” Hensley said. “In 2001, 8,000 restaurants raised $20 million. So we expect to be in the millions again since the number of restaurants is doubled.”

Participating restaurants have options as to how much they want to donate. They can give all of the day’s profits; make a donation for each customer or for each sale. Some companies are giving a donation when a designated menu item is purchased and smaller restaurants are putting out collection canisters.

O’Charley’s is more than prepared for the event.

“We’re really looking forward to seeing everyone, having fun, and raising money. One-hundred percent of the day’s profits will be going toward the Red Cross,” Ladd stated. “We have budgeted about $5,000 for the event.”

Currently there are 600 participating restaurants in the state of Illinois. Among the restaurants 12 are in Champaign and four are in Urbana. Olive Garden, Bakers Square, Outback Steakhouse, Chili’s, Biaggi’s, and multiple locations of Monical’s Pizza are a few of the restaurants involved.

However, although restaurants are doing their part to help out, the event’s success depends on the community’s active involvement.

Alaina Mazewski, sophomore in Business, was excited to hear about the event.

“I would definitely go,” Mazewski said. “I love those restaurants anyway, so since it’s for a great cause, it gives me a better reason to go.”

Simplicity and convenience are the elements that Hensley hopes will attract a big turn out.

“All you have to do is find a participating restaurant in your community and dine out,” Hensley said. “For coffee, lunch, or dinner, it’s an easy way to raise money while eating and enjoying your favorite restaurants.”

Mazewski was optimistic about raising enough money to help the hurricane victims.

“With everyone working together and uniting, it will take time but I think it [rebuilding the Gulf Coast] will ultimately be a success,” she said.

Ladd looks forward to the event, but also believes in the importance of keeping the big picture in mind.

“We have to continue to help,” Ladd said. “The Gulf Coast will be hurting for quite a while and it can’t just be a one time thing. We have to provide long-term support.”