Search for Education dean begins

By Alyssa Etier

The College of Education has started its search for a new dean since Susan Fowler decided to step down earlier this year.

Isaacson, Miller, a firm that helps universities find candidates for various positions, as well as the College of Education search committee, held an open meeting on Sept. 30. Faculty and staff helped determine the issues involved and decided what type of person should lead the college.

“It was reassuring to have the search firm actively listening to input,” said Chris Harris, communication coordinator for the college.

Fowler, who is in her sixth year as dean, will remain in her job until the provost, Jesse G. Delia, chooses a replacement. At that time, Fowler will take a one-year sabbatical before returning to a position as a special education faculty member.

At the meeting representatives from Isaacson, Miller asked questions about candidate qualities to faculty and staff in attendance. People want a dean that will support high standards for scholarships, recognize strengths in a variety of activities and have a commitment to diversity, said Richard Wheeler, chair of the search committee.

“This is a College of Education with a very strong sense of social justice,” Wheeler said.

Suggestions showed an interest in a dean that will work with local schools and schools throughout Illinois in order to strengthen the college’s role in the state. Faculty and staff also are looking for a dean that will use resources to fund student and faculty research, Harris said.

“People were certainly concerned with maintaining and advancing the overall reputation of the College of Education,” Harris said.

The firm and search committee, which consists of faculty from each department in Education at all levels, will work together to identify possible candidates for the position. Delia will collaborate with the committee and Chancellor Richard Herman to choose the next dean.

“I hope we have a new dean identified as early as possible,” said Wheeler, who believes the decision will be made by the spring semester.

These searches take a long time, and no candidates have been chosen at this time, Wheeler said.