Locals react to lack of Iraq timeline

By Yuri Ozeki

The U.S. Senate voted on Nov. 15 to reject a timeline proposal for withdrawing troops from Iraq. The proposal, led by Democrats, was defeated 58-40. The U.S. House of Representatives also rejected a nonbinding resolution 403-3 to withdraw the troops immediately from Iraq on Nov. 18.

After hearing the news of rejected proposals, University students, veterans and local residents shared a variety of responses with some supporting the decision while others disagreed.

Dan Cedusky of Champaign, who served 30 years in the military on active duty and in the Army reserves, agreed with the decision. He also hosts a Web site called “Veterans Issues,” where veterans and their families can discuss veterans’ issues.

“We simply can’t put a timeline on Iraq now,” Cedusky said. “It will endanger the mission and the troops. If we pulled everyone out now there would be a blood bath.”

Fred Christensen, a University records officer, who served 27 years in the Army and left as a Lieutenant Colonel, agreed.

“I thought it was a mistake from before the war was initiated,” Christensen said. “It is now, however, not a simple matter. The idea of an immediate withdrawal is silly because it would leave a far bigger mess than when we went in and a far more dangerous situation both for us and for them. So the idea is how best to get out of a bad situation, leaving a stable and Democratic Iraq behind.”

Caleb Ra, senior in ACES, was deployed to Iraq from February 2003 to April 2003 as well as from August 2004 to April 2005. He agreed that a timeline is not the right way to deal with the situation in Iraq.

“I think it will be counter productive for the overall goal and purpose of being in Iraq,” Ra said. “Because we’re dealing with terrorist activity, it will give them potential to plan to counteract what we’re doing there. To focus on a timeline seems to oversimplify what they’re trying to do.”

Tyler Morris, a junior studying terrorism through an LAS independent study, was released from active duty three years ago. A timeline withdrawal seems like a good decision, but in reality it is not, he said.

“It looks great on paper,” Morris said. “I know that the American people want to see this end quickly, but if we pull out before Iraq is stabilized, before the government is self sustained, before the military can control a country that is clearly at unrest right now, the country is going to topple.”

College Republicans President, Gregory Meves, senior in LAS, feels the Senate acted correctly by rejecting the timeline proposal.

“I think if we set a timeline of when we want to get them out, that’s just going to hold it to us more and put more pressure on us, and we’re going to get more criticism if, for some reason, they need to stay and we need to keep there a little longer passed whatever timeline we’ve set,” Meves said.

Even though many supported the Senate’s decision, Sky Andrecheck, graduate student and College Democrats communications director, was disappointed that the timeline proposal was rejected.

“We were disappointed that the Democratic proposition was defeated,” Andrecheck said. “More and more people are recognizing that the Iraq War was a mistake that’s resulted in the nation becoming a haven for terrorists, and we need to pull out our troops as fast and as safely as we can. The Senate is putting pressure on the White House to bring troops home.”

Christensen also has concerns about lacking clear criteria to measure the war’s situation.

“One thing we don’t have is a clear set of guidelines for what would constitute either a victory or an acceptable time to leave,” Christensen said. “Without any kind of guidelines, we can’t really tell how well we’re doing.”

Meves voiced concerns evaluating the status of Iraq as well.

“Maybe if (the Senate) set some sort of goals and then whenever we achieve those goals, we pull out troops,” Meves said. “But if we have to set a date, then it’s going to cost us a lot more trouble. Maybe we set a date where if the Iraqis are able to do such and such on their own or if we we’re able to get such and such percentage of the infrastructure back then our job is done and we can pull people out.”

For future possible solutions along with the guidelines, Christensen sees a need for a comprehensive plan of action.

“I feel that we desperately need to have a clear statement of strategy from the White House,” Christensen said.

Regarding the Senate, Cedusky feels it needs to really focus on the task at hand.

“Too much posturing, they need to get down to business,” Cedusky said. “We are not pulling the troops out so we need to figure out a better way to get the mission done.”

Christensen believes the Senate’s active role in creating more options to deal with the situation in Iraq would be more productive if Democrats and Republicans cooperated to work together.

“There is far too much sharp polarization and hostility in the Senate today,” Christensen said. “The more bipartisan cooperation there is, the better.”