Partners to get benefits from County

By Yuri Ozeki

Beginning Dec. 1, 2006, Champaign County employees in domestic partnerships will receive joint medical benefits.

The Champaign County Board voted to include non-union county employees who are in domestic partnerships into health insurance plans at their meeting Thursday night.

The action, which will affect both heterosexual and homosexual domestic partnerships, carried 27 to 7.

Kimberlie Kranich, co-founder of the 85 Percent Coalition, an organization that fights for equal rights for people of all sexual orientations, was pleased to see the domestic partner benefits action passed.

“What this goes to show you is once activists mobilize and win a few things, the government starts to take this on, on their own,” Kranich said. “That’s what we’re seeing, a domino effect. We saw some city policies change because of that direct action and pressure, and now they’re starting to do it on their own and that’s tremendously satisfying.”

The new policy allows domestic partnerships to receive joint health benefits, but the county will only pay the insurance premiums for their employee.

To be eligible for domestic partner benefits, an employee must be 18-years-old, competent to enter into a contract, not married and share a permanent residence. In addition, they must prove three of the following four criteria: proof of joint mortgage or lease, joint life insurance or retirement plan, joint checking account, or joint title of a vehicle. They must sign an affidavit with human resources before qualifying for the policy.

Champaign County Board member Scott Tapley voiced his objection to adopting the resolution. He said he was concerned about jeopardizing the sanctity of marriage, as it would re-brand marriage and cheapen it.

“Society owns the institution of marriage,” he said. “We should collectively decide its value.”

Thomas Betz, policy, personnel and appointments committee chairman for the board, clarified the purpose of the resolution.

“It’s not about marriage. It’s about insurance and benefits,” Betz said.

Board member and county employee Jennifer Putnam voted in favor of the resolution.

“This is a benefit I am pleased we can offer our employees,” Putnam said.

Urbana, Champaign, the University and Carle Foundation Hospital have implemented similar policies, Putnam said.

“I’m glad to see that they’re working on family medical leave and bereavement leave,” Kranich said.

Kranich used Lynn Sprout, a previous pediatric nurse at Carle Foundation Hospital who was fired when taking leave when her same-sex partner passed away, as an example of the need for the benefits.

“We know how very important (bereavement leave and family medical leave are), so I’m glad they’re moving towards that,” Kranich said.

Kranich also did not share Tapley’s views about the institution of marriage, though, like Tapley, she underscored the importance of the issue.

“I agree with Mr. Tapley. I think marriage is a serious issue,” Kranich said. “I hope he’ll work with me for marriage equality for same sex couples.”