Wal-Mart cuts ribbon

By Kathleen Foody

The Urbana Wal-Mart Supercenter opened for the first time Friday at 7 a.m. after more than two years of debate and construction.

The store, located at 1000 S. High Cross Rd., is the first major development in its area, but welcomed 50 customers at the beginning of its opening day in business.

The grand opening is scheduled for Tuesday, beginning at 7:30 a.m. The event will include free samples, character appearances and giveaways.

Store manager Dave Sauerwein said he believes the store can offer a one-stop shop with low prices and friendly service to residents of the cities surrounding it.

“We’re happy to be in Urbana, providing customer service and developing a good partnership with the city,” he said.

A press release details the Supercenter. It measures 217,000 square feet, features 36 general merchandise departments and will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

At the opening, Wal-Mart donated $35,000 to various groups and also has a budget for further local donations, according to a press release.

Shoppers can take advantage of other features when they visit the store, including a photo lab and a Companion Health Services store, where they can lease medical equipment like canes or wheelchairs, Sauerwein said.

Many residents of Urbana and its surrounding communities are glad to have a Wal-Mart closer to home.

“It’s closer to us than other stores, and the prices are decent,” Laura White, a St. Joe’s resident, said while shopping with daughter Kristin.

Economic benefits were also a primary reason shoppers were glad to see a Wal-Mart open in their community.

“I’m happy it’s opening at our end of town. I think it’s the shot in the arm the city’s economy needed,” Aaron Gallagher, an Urbana resident, said.

Barbara Wozencraft, Urbana resident, hopes the store will help to lower taxes for the citizens of Urbana.

“I’m real happy that we were able to bring in a better retailer,” she said. “Plus I don’t have to drive to Champaign anymore.”

Wal-Mart worked with the Urbana City Council as well as other officials to satisfy as many concerns as possible, said Dennis Roberts, Urbana City Council member.

“I know many people have issues with the company’s national practices, but the Urbana store has been working with the city to meet all of our residents’ needs,” he said.

The city felt the location needed to include a bus turnaround and passenger shelter, non-glaring lights in the parking lot, landscaping, sidewalks and a bike path, Roberts said.

Economically, Roberts said Wal-Mart is an essential step in the city’s development.

“We’ve turned a corner here by making solid economic developments, and this is an important one,” he said. “But it’s important to remember that Wal-Mart can be a double-edged sword.”

A group of Urbana residents have committed themselves to increasing community awareness of Wal-Mart’s controversial practices by becoming involved in a national coalition, Jobs with Justice Organizing Committee.

“Wal-Mart has a history of giving their employees low wages, not providing healthcare, violating labor laws and practicing discrimination,” said Bob Naiman, a member of the Champaign-Urbana Jobs with Justice Organizing Committee.

According to the organization’s Web site, coalitions exist in more than 40 cities in 29 states in all regions of the country, all with the mission to “improve working people’s standard of living, fight for job security and protect workers’ right to organize.”

“Wal-Mart is not the community-oriented store they try to paint themselves as,” said Ricky Baldwin, another local member of the Jobs with Justice Organizing Committee. “Their presence has a downward effect on everyone’s wages. Other stores are forced to compete with a large store that cuts corners.”

Roberts takes a different view about the effects Wal-Mart has on a community.

“The immediate results may be great: a place to shop for essential items, more revenue for the city,” Roberts said. “We have to be thankful for the tax money that will benefit our city’s schools and parks.”

The residents of Urbana and its surrounding communities will be the ultimate decision makers, he said.

“There are many people in our community without huge incomes, and this type of store is very important, socially and economically to them,” Roberts said. “People will vote with their feet.”