Grad students run to benefit children

Travis Austin

Travis Austin

By Christina Merced

Beginning in April, graduate students from the school of social work will participate in three Chicago marathons to raise money for World Vision’s Hope Initiative and children across the globe.

World Vision, a Christian organization, provides money and other resources for international communities experiencing poverty. The Hope Initiative is a program that focuses on delivering assistance to children affected by HIV/AIDS. Many of these children are living with the disease and large amounts have become orphans when their parents died from HIV/AIDS.

Currently, more than 14 million children are orphaned around the world and live in poverty, according to World Vision. The money raised for the Hope Initiative provides food, medical care, shelter, schools and volunteers, unlike other organizations that fundraise for HIV/AIDS research only.

As part of his required internship for the social work masters program, Michael Chitwood has been hired as a full-time coordinator for Team World Vision Chicago. Chitwood’s responsibilities include educating people about World Vision’s mission and recruiting volunteers to participate.

“Team World Vision is a very practical way for people to get involved in this cause, especially university students,” Chitwood said.

Team World Vision Chicago consists of various sporting activities and participants. Anyone can partake in the sport of their choice, either individually or with a group. All participants also set a monetary goal.

Team Illini, the group name for University participants, will run in various Chicago races, including The LaSalle Bank Shamrock Shuffle, April 2, Chicago Distance Classic, Aug. 13, and The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon, Oct. 22.

Chitwood said he became involved in World Vision because he was always an athlete and interested in social justice. He also said World Vision is for anyone, from slow to fast, poor to rich.

“The primary way for Americans to get involved in world poverty issues is to give money to fund programs, but a lot of university students can’t write a $10-20 thousand check or even a $1,000 check,” Chitwood said.

Chitwood’s wife, Dani, also a graduate student, is a team captain who helps recruits participants and is trying to get more people on campus aware of issues of child poverty. Chitwood said she plans to run all three Chicago marathons to help raise funds, but also because she is passionate about helping children affected by HIV/AIDS.

Cherry Dabney, graduate student, is another Team Captain for Team Illini. This is her first year fundraising for World Vision and running in a marathon.

“(Participating in World Vision is) a great way to give back to the community,” Dabney said despite having a busy schedule.

Although involvement with Team World Vision Chicago takes time and sacrifice, Michael Chitwood said it is rewarding to help the underprivileged throughout the world and energize people about life, health and social justice through exercise, which is why he is trying to get more people involved from the University.