Students await IMPE reopening, use other facilities

This illustration from Campus Recreation shows the IMPE students can look forward to once renovations are completed. Courtesy of Julie McMahon

By Kathleen Foody

If you are tired of waiting for exercise machines or traveling across campus just to work out, there’s good news. June 2008 is less than two years away.

Six months into Phase II of Campus Recreation’s $77 million renovation project, the main sections of the Intramural Physical Education Building, commonly known as IMPE, remain closed to students.

Demolition is still going on, so the project may seem to be at a standstill to students, said Jayne DeLuce, associate director of Campus Recreation.

“We are on schedule,” she said. “Students can take a look at our progress at the Campus Recreation Web site, where we’ve posted photos of the demolition.”

IMPE will offer a climbing wall, an auditorium, an instructional kitchen and five times more strength-and-conditioning space when construction is completed.

DeLuce said that Campus Recreation hopes the renovations will make the center more than a place for students to work out.

“It really is a student center, a place to meet friends, check e-mail or watch TV,” she said. “We hope it will be everything that CRCE has offered, on a bigger scale.”

Students adjusted after the closing of IMPE’s main sections in February of last year, but some are anxiously awaiting its reopening.

“I wish Campus Rec classes were being offered (at IMPE) because CRCE is smaller,” said Annvi Shah, a third-year law student.

“It would be more convenient because you don’t get a lot of machines over there. I just wish IMPE would reopen,” Shah said.

DeLuce said that attendance numbers at CRCE have been consistent with those from last spring, though September always has high numbers because of the beginning of school.

“Everyone seems to be accommodated,” she said. “Some have to wait for machines, but we feel good about making the most out of the space we have.”

Some University students have opted to work out at CRCE.

“CRCE seems nicer to me,” Tegan Pogue, junior in LAS, said. “It’s easier to get around.”

Swimmers have relocated to Kenney Gym, 1402 W. Springfield Ave., and Freer Hall, 906 S. Goodwin Ave., but can look forward to improvements that will be made to IMPE’s indoor and outdoor pools.

“We are making enhancements to the filter systems in those pools and will also upgrade the deck area,” DeLuce said.

Campus Recreation completed improvements of another one of its facilities, the Ice Arena, 406 E. Armory St., this summer.

“We’ve renovated the lobby, added a cafe and added more theme skates to the schedule,” DeLuce said. “It was packed during Welcome Back week, so we thought it was great that people saw the changes and realized it was an enjoyable place for students.”

The IMPE project will not be finished until June 2008, but some students are already eager to see the results.

“It will be really interesting to see what CRCE and IMPE will look like once they’re both done,” said Katelyn Hilst, junior in ACES.

More on-air: If you’re sick of crowded gyms, find out when IMPE construction will end on tonight’s 5 p.m. newscast on WPGU 107.1.