Senate passes I-Help resolution

By Michael Logli

The Illinois Student Senate passed a resolution to give the Committee to Support Homecoming $1,000 to support I-Help, its homecoming volunteer project, which is planned for Oct. 13. Vice President of the Committee Emily Holtan, senior in LAS, told the senate about the benefits of the project and why the extra money was needed.

“It’s a real good way to get students out of the college bubble,” Holtan said.

Last year, I-Help got more than 1,000 students to volunteer for various projects across the Champaign-Urbana area. Now in its second year, I-Help plans to get more than 1,500 students involved and the project will be more organized, Holtan said.

Registered Student Organizations can also sign up as a group, and it is a great way to meet other people enrolled at the University and residents of the community, Holtan said.

“We call it social engineering,” she said.

Vice President of the Internal Katie Dunne, junior in LAS, said that donating the money gives the student senate the opportunity to take a more active role in homecoming.

“We want to get more involved with homecoming than we have in the past,” said Justin Randall, senior in LAS and student body president.

The majority of the meeting was devoted to discussion of revisions to the senate’s bylaws, but no decisions were made regarding secret balloting or other potential changes.

“In its current state, this bill cannot be passed,” said Gerald Charleston, graduate student and senator.

The senators also discussed whether the position of student trustee should become an ex-officio senator or a standing member without any voting powers. Currently, the trustee does not hold any official position in the senate.

The student senate also passed a resolution urging the city of Urbana to place a crosswalk on Goodwin Avenue between Illinois and Oregon streets.

Next week, Renee Romano, vice chancellor for student affairs, will address the senators. The senate meets every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Illini Union’s Pine Lounge.