Flu-preventing exercises generate mixed results

By Eric Heisig

Senior citizens may now have another way to stay healthy during flu season.

Research from the University shows traditional Chinese exercises may help prevent influenza in senior citizens.

These exercises include taiji, a form of martial arts based on ancient Eastern medicine, and qigong, a series of breathing techniques. When the elderly are given flu vaccinations, both taiji and qigong can help strengthen the immune system.

“The problem with seniors is that they don’t respond to the vaccine very well,” said Yang Yang, an adjunct professor in AHS. “They don’t produce the antibody to fight influenza and are at high risk.”

Yang conducted the study in 2003 with senior citizens averaging 77 years of age at the Clark-Lindsey Continuing Care Retirement Community, 101 W. Windsor Road. One group participated in taiji and qigong for 20 weeks, while another group did not perform any exercises. Yang led the classes and has more than 30 years experience in both taiji and qigong.

“I specifically designed this package for older adults,” he said.

While the results did show the exercise group had greater immunity, it did not fully protect the seniors from the flu. This was not what Yang and the other professors expected.

“Their immunity levels were higher, but not quite high enough for the level of protection,” said Jeff Woods, an associate professor in AHS.

Alethea Taylor, 69, was in the exercise group and said she did not contract the flu that year.

Even if the study did not yield the results desired, the participating seniors enjoyed the unique exercises and wanted to continue them. After the study was completed, they requested a program for doing taiji and qigong.

Currently, Clark-Lindsey holds classes for interested seniors three times a week. Paula Martin, the wellness and activities coordinator that leads the classes, said that every year most people who take the class do not come down with the flu.

“After they do it, they feel energized and relaxed at the same time,” Martin said. “It really makes you feel in balance with yourself.”

Taylor enjoyed doing taiji and qigong while participating in the study and continues with the program.

“I started feeling better and having more energy and stamina,” Taylor said. “I also met some wonderful people.”