Local briefs

By Paolo Cisneros

Food Co-op raises $250,000 to support store move

Locally owned Common Ground Food Co-op announced Tuesday that it has raised more than $250,000 in member loans that will help facilitate the co-op’s move to Lincoln Square Village in Urbana.

Co-op members began contributing low-interest loans in February. Their money is expected to help Common Ground expand the store’s space to 3,200 square feet and add new inventory when the story opens in July. Common Ground officials said hundreds of members contributed loans.

“The outpouring of support from our members and community at large during the fundraising drive demonstrates our shared vision and the importance of our mission,” board of directors chair Clint Popetz said in a press release.

Common Ground Food Co-op is currently located at 610 E. Springfield Ave. in Champaign and specializes in locally produced and organic fruits and vegetables, bulk foods, personal care products, naturally packaged grocery items and other natural products.

Urbana to begin field work portion of special census

Urbana’s Special Census will be moving into the field in the coming weeks as census workers begin to contact residents in some areas of the city.

Neighborhoods in southeast Urbana and Landis Farms in addition to new housing along North Lincoln Avenue will the first to be contacted. Enumerators will be conducting door-to-door interviews during the day, afternoon, and evening hours, as well as on weekends.

Officials said the Special Census is important to Urbana because certain state funding is based on population counts. An accurate count of the city’s increased population could mean additional funding for schools, senior citizens’ programs, roads, libraries, and other projects.

The City of Urbana encouraged all residents living within the Special Census area to participate. Residents will be asked their name, relationship between household members, race, Hispanic origin, gender, age, and whether their dwelling is owned or rented.

For more information, contact the Special Census office at (217) 365-0056 or visit. www.city.urbana.il.us.

Central High School to hold community forum

A community forum will be held Monday night at the 7 p.m. in the Decker Theater at Central High school to introduce the community to Joe Williams, the candidate for school principal. A brief presentation will be followed by questions from the audience. All are welcomed to attend.

For more information, contact Champaign Unit 4 School District at (217) 351-3822.