Odds and Ends: Burglar uses spice, sausage as weapons, police say

By The Associated Press

FRESNO, California – Authorities say they’ve arrested a man who broke into the home of two California farmworkers, stole money, rubbed one of the men with spices and whacked the other with a sausage before fleeing.

Fresno County sheriff’s Lt. Ian Burrimond says 22-year-old Antonio Vasquez was found hiding in a field wearing only a T-shirt, boxers and socks after the Saturday morning attack.

He says deputies arrested Vasquez after finding a wallet containing his ID in the ransacked house.

The farmworkers told deputies the suspect woke them Saturday morning by rubbing spices on one of them and smacking the other with an 8-inch (20-centimeter) sausage.

‘Flying’ fish hits Ark. boy, leaving him unconscious

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – It’s a fishing tale that packs a wallop – boaters and others using Lake Chicot in southeastern Arkansas say they’re being smacked around by so-called “flying” fish.

Seth Russell, 15, of Crossett remembers little from when one of the Silver Asian carp leaped from the water as he cruised by on a large inner tube towed by a boat with two others. The fish struck him in the face, knocking him unconscious.

“He doesn’t remember anything at all,” the boy’s mother, Linda Russell, said last week.

The teen has had oral surgery to wire several teeth together and appears to be recovering, although he still experiences back pain which doctors attribute to whiplash, his mother said.