Bid Day 2016: Campus sororities welcome new sisters home

Eli Schuster and Jean Kang

Lily Katz

Young women join their new sorority sisters during Bid Day on Monday.

By Samantha Jones Toal and Joseph Longo

Bid Day 2016 featured hundreds of women flooding out of Foellinger Auditorium and running to groups of sororities. With their bid card in hand, they found representatives of their sorority chapter and were greeted as the newest members of campus sororities.

Brittany Albrecht, president of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and senior in Applied Health Sciences, stood waiting for the new recruits decked out in red, white and blue, to go with Alpha Chi Omega’s Olympic theme.

“The most exciting thing is knowing that we’re going to have 61 new members,” she said. “It was exciting to sign their bid day cards because I got to put my signature on each card.”

Bid Day capped off weeks of work for the sororities. Hayley Kane, senior in LAS, is recruitment chair for the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and is happy the two weekend rush party is over.

Kane said that her perspective of Bid Day is unique relative to her other sorority sisters due to her position.

“It’s definitely a different experience, because it’s nice to see all of my hard work pay off,” Kane said. “It’s the best feeling to see everyone so excited to see all of the potential new members are coming through.”

After new members celebrated and met up with their sorority sisters, many ran back to the sorority houses as a group.

“I’m just super excited,” said Jasmine Do, as she huddled together with her new Pi Beta Phi sisters just off the Main Quad. “This was my number one house.”

Do, sophomore in Media, briefly explained how anxious she was waiting in Foellinger Auditorium to find out her bid. However, she didn’t get a chance to finish her thought.

“Bye, I’ve got to run…,” she said, before proceeding to sprint off with her new sorority sisters.